Practice problem question - need help

Started by Swenis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Swenis

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'm a pre-pharm here at UNC-Asheville. I'm in general chem 1 at the moment and have been doing some practice problems on my own time to help me prepare for my test here in a couple of weeks. Well, anyways, I need help on a particular problem and, since I live off campus, I have no way of getting in touch with my classmates. If anyone could help me with this, I would be very thankful! I have the answer sheet that the book came with, but I just don't know how to get there using dimensional analysis. If this is against the rules, I apologize.

A sample of glucose, C6H12O6, contains 5.77E20 atoms of carbon.

A) How many atoms of hydrogen does it contain? (I know it's just twice as much, but how do I set up the analysis?) ANS: 1.15E21 H atoms

B) How many molecules of glucose does it contain? ANS: 9.62E19 C6H12O6 molecules

C) What is the mass of this sample in grams? ANS: .0287g C6H12O6

Thanks everyone!
 
Swenis said:
Hey guys, I'm a pre-pharm here at UNC-Asheville. I'm in general chem 1 at the moment and have been doing some practice problems on my own time to help me prepare for my test here in a couple of weeks. Well, anyways, I need help on a particular problem and, since I live off campus, I have no way of getting in touch with my classmates. If anyone could help me with this, I would be very thankful! I have the answer sheet that the book came with, but I just don't know how to get there using dimensional analysis. If this is against the rules, I apologize.

A sample of glucose, C6H12O6, contains 5.77E20 atoms of carbon.

A) How many atoms of hydrogen does it contain? (I know it's just twice as much, but how do I set up the analysis?) ANS: 1.15E21 H atoms

B) How many molecules of glucose does it contain? ANS: 9.62E19 C6H12O6 molecules

C) What is the mass of this sample in grams? ANS: .0287g C6H12O6

Thanks everyone!

Hope this helps! I will try to type this in as best as I can:

A) (5.77E20 C atoms) * (12 H atoms / 6 C atoms) = 1.15E21 H atoms

B) (5.77E20 C atoms) * (1 glucose molecule / 6 C atoms) = 9.62E19 glucose molecules

C) C Atomic weight = 12.0107 g/mole * 6 C atoms = 72.0642
H Atomic weight = 1.00794 g/mole * 12 H atoms = 12.09528
O Atomic weight = 15.9994 g/mole * 6 O atoms = 95.9964

72.0642 + 12.09528 + 95.9964 = 180.1558 g/mole of glucose

(180.1558 g / mole glucose) * (1 mole / 6.022E23 glucose molecules) * (9.62E19 glucose molecules) = 0.0288 g glucose

(I don't know why I got 0.0288 g instead of 0.0287 g. Maybe used more precise atomic weights)
 
teachtopharm? said:
Hope this helps! I will try to type this in as best as I can:

A) (5.77E20 C atoms) * (12 H atoms / 6 C atoms) = 1.15E21 H atoms

B) (5.77E20 C atoms) * (1 glucose molecule / 6 C atoms) = 9.62E19 glucose molecules

C) C Atomic weight = 12.0107 g/mole * 6 C atoms = 72.0642
H Atomic weight = 1.00794 g/mole * 12 H atoms = 12.09528
O Atomic weight = 15.9994 g/mole * 6 O atoms = 95.9964

72.0642 + 12.09528 + 95.9964 = 180.1558 g/mole of glucose

(180.1558 g / mole glucose) * (1 mole / 6.022E23 glucose molecules) * (9.62E19 glucose molecules) = 0.0288 g glucose

(I don't know why I got 0.0288 g instead of 0.0287 g. Maybe used more precise atomic weights)

Thank you!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad