Practice Scores: Bootcamp Test (1-8) Vs The Real DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hankey

VCU Dental 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I (and I know many others) are curious about the comparison. I couldn't find a thread with so many practice test scores and the real dat so here ya go.. I posted this in another thread but I know no one would find it using the search bar (maybe I don't know how to use it but i can never find anything haha) This is the first 8 DAT Bootcamp practice tests vs the real one.

DON'T use this to comfort yourself about doing bad on bootcamp. Console yourself with more studying in the areas where you are weak. This is simply a tool to gauge yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Practice Test Scores.xlsx
    16.3 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So I (and I know many others) are curious about the comparison. I couldn't find a thread with so many practice test scores and the real dat so here ya go.. I posted this in another thread but I know no one would find it using the search bar (maybe I don't know how to use it but i can never find anything haha) This is the first 8 DAT Bootcamp practice tests vs the real one.

DON'T use this to comfort yourself about doing bad on bootcamp. Console yourself with more studying in the areas where you are weak. This is simply a tool to gauge yourself.
What method did you use for reading? Any idea why RC and your PAT were so much higher? Also what was your total science score on the real test? How many questions out of 100 were u getting on science your last few practice test?

Reactions: 1 user
What method did you use for reading? Any idea why RC and your PAT were so much higher? Also what was your total science score on the real test? How many questions out of 100 were u getting on science your last few practice test?
For reading, I read science daily, maybe three articles a day. I made sure to practice reading using different methods to figure out what worked best for me. Once I found a good method, it's good to stick with it, but do what feels most natural for you. It's good to time yourself and keep yourself accountable for reading quickly. Another important trick is finding ways to be super interested in what you are reading. This will keep you focused and you will naturally read more quickly. A few ways to do this is to imagine the real-life applications or ask questions to build intrigue,

Also, I started reading more recreationally for breaks from studying. I found that the more I read, no matter what genera, the faster I got. It's good to build up in reading intensity as you get closer to the test day. I did this because the way I studied for all the other sections utilized memorizing material that didn't need often refreshing because it was so solidified in my memory (you can't really cram for the DAT, there's too much information) that means I actually had more time as I approached test day.

I think the actual test was a little easier (if i remember correctly) because the questions were more in order than the practice exams. This meant i could read a little, answer a few questions, read a little, answer and so on.. and this covered most of the questions, then just doing search and destroy for the remaining few questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have any issues with test anxiety or burnout on test day? That is something I am worried about.
Test anxiety, not so much, I felt pretty confident going in because I really felt like I knew the material. Burn out is real though. Make sure you break up your study day, I would workout once or twice a day just to clear my mind (maybe run and lift weights). Also changing study location can be good. I would sit on the floor, outside, just moving around was good and give me fresh focus. A few days before the test day I also took a little break but the excitement of almost being done kept me wanting to study... I ended up moving my test closer by a few weeks because i felt like i was ready so don't be afraid to do that, you don't want to be stuck reviewing material if you feel like your ready for the exam. Hopefully that helps at least a little :)

Reactions: 1 user
Great scores, congrats! My DAT is tomorrow and I've been scoring a point less than I'm hoping for in pretty much every section. Do you think the DAT was easier than the practice tests or did it feel about the same? I'm pretty comfortable with content but I'm incredibly slow at math, I tend to not finish math and usually spend a lot of time on gen chem equations and don't finish orgo. If you have any last minute tips for timing, let me know!

Also, how long after the 8th practice test did you take the real DAT?

Edit: Just realized this is from a year ago lol, no worries if it's been a little too long to remember.

Test anxiety, not so much, I felt pretty confident going in because I really felt like I knew the material. Burn out is real though. Make sure you break up your study day, I would workout once or twice a day just to clear my mind (maybe run and lift weights). Also changing study location can be good. I would sit on the floor, outside, just moving around was good and give me fresh focus. A few days before the test day I also took a little break but the excitement of almost being done kept me wanting to study... I ended up moving my test closer by a few weeks because i felt like i was ready so don't be afraid to do that, you don't want to be stuck reviewing material if you feel like your ready for the exam. Hopefully that helps at least a little :)
Thank you; this is quite helpful! I've heard over and over again that confidence in the material is key, so I am reviewing my weak topics in bio, and just cramming GChem practice. I think I just need to take a deep breath and chill out. I hope your studies are going well in dental school as well :)