SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Practice tests: do more NBME or take the Kaplan full-length?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by stressmonkey, May 26, 2008.

1. stressmonkey

stressmonkey 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Just wondering if anybody has some good advice....I'm taking Step I on June 14th and am kind of in a time crunch and I was wondering if it would be more time efficient/better prep to take a few more NBME's spread out over the next three weeks or to sink an entire day into the Kaplan test and take a few less NBME's because of it....I've already taken NBME 2 and the practice test at the Prometric center, so I have an idea where I am now and I want to track my progress. Which NBME's are hardest or the best predictors? Is the Kaplan test worth doing? Thanks!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lilnoelle

lilnoelle Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I took the Kaplan full length exam last weekend and was a little dissapointed because at the end, all I got was a percentage correct, and no correlational score to go with it.

There are benefits to doing the full length over the NBME's - namely they give you the questions + answers/explanations afterwards, so you can use it as a study tool.

I wish I had taken an NBME instead though, so I could've at least had a guestimated score.
    This weekend I have to take another full length exam (through my school) and I'm guessing I won't get a guestimated score from it either! So I'll be waiting till the week before my exam to have an idea of my progress. I know I could always take another NBME exam, but I don't feel like I have the time.