Practice Tests vs Real DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NightOwlYogi

Hey guys :)

So I'm taking the DAT in a few days...

And I've been low-key freaking out. I've been doing TopScore Pro practice tests and have been getting around 20-22 for each section. Is this representative of how I will do on the test day? Or would you say the test is going to be harder? I want to know if I need to increase some studying areas or not...

I understand there are like a million threads on this, but they may be outdated?

Also, would avgs of 20 be good enough for dental school? My GPA is high and I'm working on increasing my volunteer hours in the clinics.

Any help or encouragement would mean the world, thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys :)

So I'm taking the DAT in a few days...

And I've been low-key freaking out. I've been doing TopScore Pro practice tests and have been getting around 20-22 for each section. Is this representative of how I will do on the test day? Or would you say the test is going to be harder? I want to know if I need to increase some studying areas or not...

I understand there are like a million threads on this, but they may be outdated?

Also, would avgs of 20 be good enough for dental school? My GPA is high and I'm working on increasing my volunteer hours in the clinics.

Any help or encouragement would mean the world, thank you :)

You should get acceptance into a dental school with a 3.5 science GPA and 20/20 on the DAT. Of course there are many variables and students get accepted with lesser GPA's and scores. I always tell my students to contact the school directly before applying to get the most updated info.

I have worked with many students through the years and it is my opinion there is no way to predict exactly what will occur on the actual DAT from any timed test. With scores of 20-22 on practice tests it shows you have a good working knowledge and could score slightly higher or lower on the actual exam.

It is also great you are doing volunteer hours in clinics, but a lot of dental schools also like community type volunteer service on the application. Remember they like well rounded students.

Good luck on your DAT!

Nancy

Last edited:
You should get acceptance into a dental school with a 3.5 science GPA and 20/20 on the DAT. Of course there are many variables and students get accepted with lesser GPA's and scores. I always tell my students to contact the school directly before applying to get the most updated info.

I have worked with many students through the years and it is my opinion there is no way to predict exactly what will occur on the actual DAT from any timed test. With scores of 20-22 on practice tests it shows you have a good working knowledge and could score slightly higher or lower on the actual exam.

It is also great you are doing volunteer hours in clinics, but a lot of dental schools also like community type volunteer service on the application. Remember they like well rounded students.

Good luck on your DAT!

Nancy

Thank you for that thoughtful response! Really means a lot! I will try to get more community type volunteer service then :)

Reactions: 1 user