PracticeLink

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmado

PharmaDo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about what exactly PracticeLink is and how it is run. Is it similar to GasWork only with all physician disciplines? I was unaware of it until yesterday when a fellow resident directed me there, but I'm confused about who is actually posting the jobs. Honestly, if it is recruiters posting the positions I don't want anything to do with them. After registering and applying for a couple positions, someone from PracticeLink called me and asked for information about my job search. I have no idea exactly who this person is or if they will benefit from my job search. Any help with the matter from those more experienced than me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to be mostly large organizations directly advertising employed positions. Often at academic places or hospital employed groups, you will have to talk to an in-house recruiter before you speak to a physician. It seems ok to give your CV to these people.

I would just avoid the head-hunter types that hold your CV hostage and play coy with the details of the job they are advertising. Websites like gaswork, careermd, and doccafe are overrun with the head-hunter types. Their strategy is to carpet-bomb those particular sites with repeat listings every few days in an attempt to fish out a few CVs.

It seems to be mostly large organizations directly advertising employed positions. Often at academic places or hospital employed groups, you will have to talk to an in-house recruiter before you speak to a physician. It seems ok to give your CV to these people.

I would just avoid the head-hunter types that hold your CV hostage and play coy with the details of the job they are advertising. Websites like gaswork, careermd, and doccafe are overrun with the head-hunter types. Their strategy is to carpet-bomb those particular sites with repeat listings every few days in an attempt to fish out a few CVs.

What's the problem with them having your CV?

Not job hunting, just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the problem with them having your CV?

Not job hunting, just curious.

Well first of all, they are annoying. They will call you multiple times per day and try to sell you bad jobs. In my previous life, I used a recruiter when I was looking for a hospitalist job since I didn't know any better and it was like a used car salesman trying to sell me a broken down jalopy. They don't have your best interest in mind. In the age of the internet, the recruiter is really an unnecessary middleman. The problem with them having your CV is that my understanding is that if a recruiter is working with a practice and has your CV, they can say they referred you to the practice even if you end up finding that job on your own.

Reactions: 1 users
As was alluded to by others, it was generally a place for in-house recruiters to post their positions. Lately, it seems like a lot more AMCs are using it as well. A few years ago when we were looking our in house recruiter posted a listing on their in lieu of Gaswork. Without saying it this way, she told me the Gaswork was thought of as "low class" in her profession while Practice Link was acceptable. Unfortunately, even after weeding out recruiters, practice link has about 25% or less of the positions Gaswork has, but I think you will see a few different jobs on there if you are searching.