Practices in other country

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OATkilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I was just curious. I'm very interested in practicing optometry in another country (China) right after I graduate from optometry college. However, I because of the currency difference between there and here, how will you manage to pay off your student loans. Since 1 UDS = 6.8 RMB, would it take way longer? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

So I was just curious. I'm very interested in practicing optometry in another country (China) right after I graduate from optometry college. However, I because of the currency difference between there and here, how will you manage to pay off your student loans. Since 1 UDS = 6.8 RMB, would it take way longer? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!!!

I wouldn't count of it, not only do you have to think about the exchange rate... but exam fees are going to be extremely low, hell you can go to a clinic in Shanghai and have the asian/double eyelid surgery done for less than $300 USD, a CT will set you back a whole $35 USD. And I'm not making this up, those prices were presented last week during Bascom Palmer grand rounds from a resident that did an international elective in Shanghai. Whats a refraction going to cost... probably 23 cents.

You'll get paid different amounts in different countries.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
U think china's bad in nigeria the average optometrist earns about 400 dollars a month

yea, but the cost of living, cost of an education etc. must be considerably cheaper.

yea, but the cost of living, cost of an education etc. must be considerably cheaper.

Nigeria is obviously different than Morocco, but my boyfriend lives there currently for his Peace Corps service, and he gets approximately $250/month as a stipend, and it's more than enough. Crazy, huh. :eek:

This is true and therefore you will able to make yourself a living there, but you won't get "rich" working in Nigeria.

Plz do not com india for practice as there is very drastic condition of optometrist