Practicing endo at home on extracted teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plam94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got some extracted teeth that I'd like to use to practice endo at home- I've got a DIY block to mount my teeth with wax, but I can't seem to figure out how I can establish my working lengths without X-rays. I was thinking I could finish my access & poke a small file through each canal before mounting my tooth, however this isn't exactly ideal! Would love to hear if anybody has come up with a work around solution.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
I think it is almost impossible to complete RCT without X-rays
Not sure if this would help, when I worked on extracted teeth at home I used to take x-ray at my sister’s dental clinic so if you know a dentist that can help you in that it can be a good idea although you this will take a lot of time to complete the next steps
I do not know if you can search for dental educational centers that are supplied with everything a dental student needs such as X-ray machines ....etc) so that you book a certain session and you will practice whatever you want
Hope someone has a better advice for you

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need an x-ray to practice. The hardest part of RCT is finding canals and instrumenting them gently to avoid perforations and broken instruments.
Mount you teeth in PVS putty. Cut around apices to be able to see your file poking out. Measure approximate length directly
Obviously, it is not ideal, but will give you a chance to develop "a feel" for basics of RCT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I've got some extracted teeth that I'd like to use to practice endo at home- I've got a DIY block to mount my teeth with wax, but I can't seem to figure out how I can establish my working lengths without X-rays. I was thinking I could finish my access & poke a small file through each canal before mounting my tooth, however this isn't exactly ideal! Would love to hear if anybody has come up with a work around solution.

Thanks!

You don’t need xrays. Get yourself calipers that measure in millimeters, and measure from likely access to root tip and you’ll be as close as you need to be +- 1mm