Practicing in Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAA437

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate any input and/or feedback on practicing family medicine in Arizona. I'm looking to relocate to the area during the winter months and practice part-time (January - April/May). I'm Canadian but there are no issues with reciprocity and obtaining a license.

My questions are as follows, and thank you in advance:
  • What is a fair annual range for malpractice insurance?
  • Other than malpractice insurance and medical board licensure, are there other considerations/associations I'm obliged to join to practice?
  • How do you like working in the state, particularly if you practice part-time or as a "snow bird?
A pre-emptive thank you for any responses and guidance to my inquiries, and I welcome additional thoughts to consider.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just do locums in Arizona for those 6 months? Then you wouldn't have to worry about malpractice, travel, housing, etc. Why would you joint a practice and have established patients only to leave for half the year?

Comphealth, Delta Locums. Global Medical staffing

Why not just do locums in Arizona for those 6 months? Then you wouldn't have to worry about malpractice, travel, housing, etc. Why would you joint a practice and have established patients only to leave for half the year?

Comphealth, Delta Locums. Global Medical staffing

Thanks for the response. Am I wrong in assuming locum work requires less administrative work (or have it at least completed by the recruiting firm)? The other issue is that I'd prefer to ensure I'm working near one of the larger communities and not in a rural location - which most locums up north appear to be biased towards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the locums company does most of your paperwork. Plenty of urban locums jobs especially at large hospitals. Hospitalists are always in demand. What you have to understand about locums is that you make the decision which job you want to take. Talk to your locum recruiter and let them know what kind of job you are wanting and they scout for you. No one is going to force you to do rural but I will tell you that rural medication you get to see some crazy stuff.