Practicing in Hong Kong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard about this 1 year internship requirement for foreign doctors who wish to practice medicine in Hong Kong regardless of his experience. However, I would like to know how much does the doctor get paid during this one year period? Are they being paid at a price equivalent to the price of a resident that just graduated from a Hong Kong medical school? Just out of my curiousity and see if anyone knows about this.:)
You get paid using the Hospital Authority pay scale, so it'll be ****ty pay, even worse than US residencies.

I applied to HKU back in 2003 and got an interview call at my residence in Hong Kong in late May requesting an interview in early June. Since it was during the SARS outbreak, I decided to pass. I've since finished a Master's and my MD in the US and now starting internship in a couple weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

You get paid using the Hospital Authority pay scale, so it'll be ****ty pay, even worse than US residencies.

I applied to HKU back in 2003 and got an interview call at my residence in Hong Kong in late May requesting an interview in early June. Since it was during the SARS outbreak, I decided to pass. I've since finished a Master's and my MD in the US and now starting internship in a couple weeks.

Congratulation on the completion of your M.D. degree. Are you starting your internship here on U.S. soil. Are you planning to move back to Hong Kong after completing ur residency here? Have you already started preparing for taking the license exam require for all foreign doctors to practice in Hong Kong?

Congratulation on the completion of your M.D. degree. Are you starting your internship here on U.S. soil. Are you planning to move back to Hong Kong after completing ur residency here? Have you already started preparing for taking the license exam require for all foreign doctors to practice in Hong Kong?
Though I'm an F-1 student still, I'm starting internship in the US, more precisely at UW-Seattle. I'm not planning to move back to Hong Kong after finishing my residency and fellowships because there isn't much demand for Gas and CCM in Hong Kong. Also, as a foreign grad, I'll be an outcast in the HKHA system considering that most of the senior executives are either HKU or CUHK grad depending whether you are in HK Island, Kowloon, or the NT. That means my chance of advancing is pretty slim.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Though I'm an F-1 student still, I'm starting internship in the US, more precisely at UW-Seattle. I'm not planning to move back to Hong Kong after finishing my residency and fellowships because there isn't much demand for Gas and CCM in Hong Kong. Also, as a foreign grad, I'll be an outcast in the HKHA system considering that most of the senior executives are either HKU or CUHK grad depending whether you are in HK Island, Kowloon, or the NT. That means my chance of advancing is pretty slim.

Wow...really??? They discriminate like this in Hong Kong just cuz u ain't a HKU or CUHk grad. Well, I really want to move back to Hong Kong after finishing med school and residency here because all my relatives live in Hong Kong. But just thinking of how I will need to spend 4 years in med school here, followed by 4 or 5 years in residency here, then taking the freakin license exam in Hong kong, then another one year internship in Hong Kong before practicing on my own, really makes me feel depressing.

Wow...really??? They discriminate like this in Hong Kong just cuz u ain't a HKU or CUHk grad. Well, I really want to move back to Hong Kong after finishing med school and residency here because all my relatives live in Hong Kong. But just thinking of how I will need to spend 4 years in med school here, followed by 4 or 5 years in residency here, then taking the freakin license exam in Hong kong, then another one year internship in Hong Kong before practicing on my own, really makes me feel depressing.
That's what my friends who finished school in Hong Kong told me. Basically, if you are foreign grad, they look down on you thinking that you don't have the capabilities to study medicine in HK and that's why you went else where. It's also a lot of stress working for the HKHA. Patient load is very high compared to the US and there are a lot of office politics going on in the hospitals. Several years ago, the chief of pain management in Kwong Wah Hospital in Mong Kok attempted to hang himself with his belt in the office and the rumor was that he was under too much stress.

I am a Physician assistant(PA), and I was wondering what are the possibilities of working in any major city of China. I have been searching for information, but could not find much on this topic.

PAs are allowed to prescribed and diagnosis in all 50 states in the USA. We are allowed to do as much as the supervising physician will allow. So, if you pass the license test in china are you allowed to practice there? Can anyone point me in the direction to find out more information.

Thanks in advance.

I am a Physician assistant(PA), and I was wondering what are the possibilities of working in any major city of China. I have been searching for information, but could not find much on this topic.

PAs are allowed to prescribed and diagnosis in all 50 states in the USA. We are allowed to do as much as the supervising physician will allow. So, if you pass the license test in china are you allowed to practice there? Can anyone point me in the direction to find out more information.

Thanks in advance.
don't think they have an official PA system in China