Practicing in New Zealand...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlantoraja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My spouse and I have always had the travel bug and have lived in several different countries in the course of our relationship. Needless to say, extensive travel has been put on hold during the course of medical school and residency.

With the end of training finally approaching (will complete glaucoma fellowship 2021) we are toying with the idea of taking a year or two before finally settling down in the states to live and practice somewhere else. My understanding is that New Zealand may be a relatively welcoming place for a US trained physician to obtain a temporary locums position. This may be tempered by the need to pay down loans, I would have to get a better sense of the potential salary and cost of living as well.

I know this is a long shot, but anyone out there who has any experience working as a foreign trained ophthalmologist in New Zealand? Anybody licensed in the US who could speak to the certification process in New Zealand?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Great questions. I would also like to hear from anyone who has practiced abroad