Practicing in the UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epak333

Reaction score
Hi! I'm interested (wayyy down the road when I actually get my doctorate) in moving abroad to the UK---most likely England. I'm just curious logistically how this works and if it's even possible? Is it easier to get your doctorate here in the US and get licensed here, and then move to England? Or move to England now to get my doctorate there and get licensed there? Of course they have different requirements, so I'm not sure how a US license would "transfer". And if, down the road, I wanted to come back to the US to practice would that still be possible? This is all theoretical of course lol but I was just wondering!

Members don't see this ad.

One never knows about online salary averages but--looking at quickly available stats (if they're accurate)--looks like the salaries for UK psychologists are pretty low (like US social worker-level?). I'd imagine that lower salaries (for UK citizens) would be acceptable because, for example, healthcare is 'free' through the NHS. If you moved there but weren't a UK citizen, would you be eligible for NHS healthcare yourself? 'Free' healthcare might also lead to similar problems that we run into in the VA system with 'free,' lifetime therapy services. I'd be intrigued to hear from any psychologists working in the NHS to know how (in truth) things are over there.

One never knows about online salary averages but--looking at quickly available stats (if they're accurate)--looks like the salaries for UK psychologists are pretty low (like US social worker-level?). I'd imagine that lower salaries (for UK citizens) would be acceptable because, for example, healthcare is 'free' through the NHS. If you moved there but weren't a UK citizen, would you be eligible for NHS healthcare yourself? 'Free' healthcare might also lead to similar problems that we run into in the VA system with 'free,' lifetime therapy services. I'd be intrigued to hear from any psychologists working in the NHS to know how (in truth) things are over there.
Yes that's a good point too, it would probably make sense to become a UK citizen which is a whole other process. Would definitely be interested to hear from people who have gone through this. Salary is also not a huge issue for me, as long as i'm still able to support myself enough. Of course, it's all just a possibility and not something I would definitely be doing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that's a good point too, it would probably make sense to become a UK citizen which is a whole other process. Would definitely be interested to hear from people who have gone through this. Salary is also not a huge issue for me, as long as i'm still able to support myself enough. Of course, it's all just a possibility and not something I would definitely be doing!
Just out of curiosity, what appeals to you about working as a psychologist in the UK?

Hi! I'm interested (wayyy down the road when I actually get my doctorate) in moving abroad to the UK---most likely England. I'm just curious logistically how this works and if it's even possible? Is it easier to get your doctorate here in the US and get licensed here, and then move to England? Or move to England now to get my doctorate there and get licensed there? Of course they have different requirements, so I'm not sure how a US license would "transfer". And if, down the road, I wanted to come back to the US to practice would that still be possible? This is all theoretical of course lol but I was just wondering!

I've actually researched this myself. Yes, it's possible, but you'll need to go through a semi-lengthy licensure evaluation post PhD. You'll also, most likely, be looking at NHS jobs. I believe, and I still don't have a definitive answer on this, you'd start at the principle psychology level with your PhD and additional training (you can Google the pay).

It seems like a solid lifestyle, decent pay if you're not in London, and could offer a fun change of pace. The biggest sacrifice seems to be the reduction in income, but I 100% could see the appeal if you don't plan on having kids.

Scotland and, really anywhere that isn't London, has a housing market a clinical psychologist can survive in (you can get places that are pretty nice). Another huge pro is your vacations around Europe just got exceptionally cheaper.

The biggest piece of advice I could offer is finish your PhD and US licensure first. Even if you never intend on coming back this is not something you'd want to go without, a solid safety net and it may make you eligible for other European gigs (the Netherlands loves their US Clinical PhDs to fill their research positions).

Edit: This plan is contingent on keeping debt down (or having none at all)! Be mindful of this while looking into programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, what appeals to you about working as a psychologist in the UK?
Just living somewhere different, I'm going to the UK for a trip in a few weeks and just want to see what it's even like there. Change of scenery mostly I guess. Again, not something I'm dead set on doing but just cool to think about.

Reactions: 1 user
I've actually researched this myself. Yes, it's possible, but you'll need to go through a semi-lengthy licensure evaluation post PhD. You'll also, most likely, be looking at NHS jobs. I believe, and I still don't have a definitive answer on this, you'd start at the principle psychology level with your PhD and additional training (you can Google the pay).

It seems like a solid lifestyle, decent pay if you're not in London, and could offer a fun change of pace. The biggest sacrifice seems to be the reduction in income, but I 100% could see the appeal if you don't plan on having kids.

Scotland and, really anywhere that isn't London, has a housing market a clinical psychologist can survive in (you can get places that are pretty nice). Another huge pro is your vacations around Europe just got exceptionally cheaper.

The biggest piece of advice I could offer is finish your PhD and US licensure first. Even if you never intend on coming back this is not something you'd want to go without, a solid safety net and it may make you eligible for other European gigs (the Netherlands loves their US Clinical PhDs to fill their research positions).

Edit: This plan is contingent on keeping debt down (or having none at all)! Be mindful of this while looking into programs.
This is super helpful, thank you! I don't plan on having kids (as of right now or ever probably) so that's why salary was not a huge issue for me. I've looked into only funded programs too, so definitely hoping to keep debt down!

1) the big issue is the visa. You’ll notice that the UK is going through a bit of a crisis with immigration recently. That any complicate things.
2) there is a self employed way to go about it, but it requires you to give the government a fee of something like $4-6MM. They call it an investment, but you’re not getting that back.
3) the pay in the UK is low. Psychologists there are generally masters level.
4) If you’re looking for a commonwealth country, New Zealand is always advertising jobs for US psychologists. Better fish, better tattoos.

Reactions: 2 users
1) the big issue is the visa. You’ll notice that the UK is going through a bit of a crisis with immigration recently. That any complicate things.
2) there is a self employed way to go about it, but it requires you to give the government a fee of something like $4-6MM. They call it an investment, but you’re not getting that back.
3) the pay in the UK is low. Psychologists there are generally masters level.
4) If you’re looking for a commonwealth country, New Zealand is always advertising jobs for US psychologists. Better fish, better tattoos.
Regarding point 3, this actually could be a semi-advantage. The pay for PhD level psychologists is higher, as it should be, and it's much easier to rise through the NHS ranks if that's your thing.

It's still a massive pay cut from the potential in the States and the visa BS could still screw you over.

I'll also throw the coin in for the Netherlands if you're more research focused and were looking into Europe. The pay is much better than the UK and every academic I know that moved to a Dutch nation has said it was a pretty great move (job market for Americans academics is okay too). I'll try and dig up an article I read on this to make sure this isn't outdated.

Regarding point 3, this actually could be a semi-advantage. The pay for PhD level psychologists is higher, as it should be, and it's much easier to rise through the NHS ranks if that's your thing.

It's still a massive pay cut from the potential in the States and the visa BS could still screw you over.

I'll also throw the coin in for the Netherlands if you're more research focused and were looking into Europe. The pay is much better than the UK and every academic I know that moved to a Dutch nation has said it was a pretty great move (job market for Americans academics is okay too). I'll try and dig up an article I read on this to make sure this isn't outdated.
The Netherlands would be super cool too! I'm definitely more clinically focused but that could always change!