Practicing in USA and Canada simultaneously?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOoMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to practice in the USA and Canada simultaneously (Working at a clinic in each country, having patients in both countries), or is this uncommon/frowned upon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are legal provisions on this. New Brunswick has a such thing as a cross-border license, for American practicing physicians who occasionally practice in Canada. I imagine if the time was split more equally, you may be required hold a license in the province and state you are practicing in, and the length of residency may matter as well.

Is it possible to practice in the USA and Canada simultaneously (Working at a clinic in each country, having patients in both countries), or is this uncommon/frowned upon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would have to be licensed in both countries, which comes with different exams, different requirements on length of training etc. I have encountered this most commonly for family docs who trained in the states. FM is a year longer in the US and you can for many provinces get a Canadian FM license reciprocally from your US exams. Met several family docs who live and work in Windsor ON Canada and also work across the border in Michigan. Not sure how it plays out for taxes though.

I did my residency training in Detroit, and we had a few attendings that worked in the ED across the border in Windsor.

Reactions: 1 users