Practicing OMFS under MD in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedomfs

Reaction score
I am finishing up my 6 year program on the east coast, and planning on moving to California after graduation. However, I took ADEX before the merge, so I would need to retake the ADEX exam to get my dental license in California.

On the Dental Board of CA website, it says I could apply for an OMFS Permit with my MD and dental license issued by another state. I am currently licensed in the state I am completing my program in. Does anyone know if there any downsides or limitations to practicing OMFS with just my MD in CA?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Take this with a grain of salt because I’m still a resident but I think to bill dental procedures you have to have a valid dental license. I also think your license to perform anesthesia is given to you by the dental board.

I am finishing up my 6 year program on the east coast, and planning on moving to California after graduation. However, I took ADEX before the merge, so I would need to retake the ADEX exam to get my dental license in California.

On the Dental Board of CA website, it says I could apply for an OMFS Permit with my MD and dental license issued by another state. I am currently licensed in the state I am completing my program in. Does anyone know if there any downsides or limitations to practicing OMFS with just my MD in CA?

Thank you for your help!

You can practice under your medical license in most states if the dental board allows that. There are minimal limitations as insurance carriers will look at your training, not license. I would still work toward a dental license. Does California not have license by credentials? Most state will grant reciprocity license if you have had a dental license in another state for > 5 years.