Practicing Optometry in Europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grover2k9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know anything about this?

What is the difficulty involved in going to an american school, passing boards here, then attempting to practice in a european country?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difficulty involved in going to an american school, passing boards here, then attempting to practice in a european country?

It varies... some european countries don't even have a thing called "optometry!"

The most straightforward countries to get licenced in are probably UK and Netherlands, maybe Sweden, maybe Spain. I'm pretty sure that Germany is a no for sure. Optometry doesn't exist in France.

Nil and nothing.
In the UK, you still have to sit for the registration examinations and do the preregistration period of X # hours. Then you can practice in the uK. Oh yes, you still have to get a work visa and emigrate. Double whammy.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's possible, but why ?

Why not earn your degree from there ? I'm pretty sure that college is free there, plus there is socialized health care. The only thing bad about practicing optometry in Europe, say for instance the UK, relative to USA is the reduced salary.

Also, if you do earn your degree there and would like to return to N.A. then I think you are required to go through additional schooling since some of the material covered in the NBEO was not covered during your optometric education.

Practicing optometry in a country other than USA/CAN would be extremely fun though :D

Also, if you do earn your degree there and would like to return to N.A. then I think you are required to go through additional schooling since some of the material covered in the NBEO was not covered during your optometric education.

you answered your own question. That is why I wouldnt go through schooling there. It would be fun for a period of time, but I perfer the United States long term.

It would just be fun to go over there and get my feet wet. Then I can come back with experience and a good broad vision for the whole thing before trying to start my own practice.

I'd perfer to not enter the cooperate world. I'll spare the details so I dont light a forum fuse. :thumbup: