Practicing with a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whattodonow2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many American trained DOs are practicing in Canada? Has anyone completed residency and traveled back north to practice in a specialty other than Fam Med? Would lack of recognition in Canada pose any sort of problems or is a "doctor just a doctor" to patients and other health professionals?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many American trained DOs are practicing in Canada? Has anyone completed residency and traveled back north to practice in a specialty other than Fam Med? Would lack of recognition in Canada pose any sort of problems or is a "doctor just a doctor" to patients and other health professionals?

Thanks

1. There are about 15 i think, with

2. Yes there are DOs that have done their residency training in canada. There are 2 right now somewhere in ontario currently in residency.....one in pathology at UT.....other in IM i believe. There are probably more but those are the two i have 'heard' off

3. Unless you want to practice in Saskatchewan or PEI. Other than those provinces you are free to practice anywhere. Problems with patients? I dont think they care where you studied....as long as you can treat them properly. If there are other professionals who don't like you because you're a DO then it is what it is. Just try to be the best you can be and let everything else fall in place. Plus everybody is usually too busy with their own stuff anyways.

Thanks

Are you asking because you want to Shadow one to get a reference letter? If so, where are you from in Canada?

Thanks

Or you are very set in coming back to Canada to practice later on that you worries having DO might complicate things. Well the truth is, DO is less well known in Canada "at the moment." But as you can even see on SDN that more and more students are asking and finding out about it. I can't predict what will happen in the future, but seeing how the growth of DO schools in US, I wouldn't doubt that students returning to work in Canada will become more common. Especially by the time you and I will be done with either med school or residency training.