Practising in the UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echostation

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi sorry I haven't been on in a very long time. I had a question on getting an intern spot and eventually being able to practice in the UK.

If you are an Irish medical graduate, do you need to take PLAB I and II to be able to practice in the UK even if you have an EU passport? My understanding was that if you do not have an EU passport you have to take PLAB in order to practice in the UK but I wasn't sure if this requirement also extended to also having a British medical degree. If you have an EU passport but have a non-British medical degree (in this case from Ireland), do you need take the PLAB exam to practice in the UK? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

echostation said:
Hi sorry I haven't been on in a very long time. I had a question on getting an intern spot and eventually being able to practice in the UK.

If you are an Irish medical graduate, do you need to take PLAB I and II to be able to practice in the UK even if you have an EU passport? My understanding was that if you do not have an EU passport you have to take PLAB in order to practice in the UK but I wasn't sure if this requirement also extended to also having a British medical degree. If you have an EU passport but have a non-British medical degree (in this case from Ireland), do you need take the PLAB exam to practice in the UK? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

No you don't. To not do the PLAB you need to be an Irish citizen and a graduate of an Irish medical school. You have no problem.

If you want to go to the UK, get a certificate of good standing from the Irish medical council, your original documents of graduation (the *originals* need to be sent, the diplomas, etc., ), a £290 in a bank draft, complete the application form and in 2 weeks you'll get an appointment in London to interview you (this is new - because so many people are making up names, degrees, etc., ) and then you will be GMC registered.

After that, you can reregister over the phone. It used to be easier but there's loads of chancers in the Irish and UK systems from 3rd world countries who have been making up colleges, references out of thin air so there are more hoops to jump through but as an Irish citizen and Irish grad you have no problems.

Then, when registered, you start doing locums and become incredibly wealthy and drive a Bentley :)