Pre-acceptance to DO... MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahockey21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pre-acceptance to Nova through my university that was solely based on GPA and extra curriculars. I needed a 24 MCAT to follow through with this program and I scored a 25O :/.
My MCAT was lowered than expected but my extra curriculars are great.

STATS

25O MCAT
3.4 GPA
3.2 SGPA

Smallpox vaccination research project through military.
Air Force medic for 3 and 1/2 years.
Mayo Clinic ER tech for 2 years.
Volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters.

I am extremely fortunate to be in this program with Nova.

Do I have a shot at any MD programs? I am a Florida resident.

I am very happy with Nova by the way.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what you've told us so far, stick with NOVA. Your chances for MD are very slim to nonexistent with that GPA and MCAT.

With your current stats, no way.

If you had killed the MCAT, you'd have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's what I figured. What MD schools should I try for? I know the MSAR, but just asking for personal opinions.
I don't know if having connections would help either? I have an uncle who is the chief of the FL hospital system and is associated with a lot of schools.
Should I even ask him?

Yeah, that's what I figured. What MD schools should I try for? I know the MSAR, but just asking for personal opinions.
I don't know if having connections would help either? I have an uncle who is the chief of the FL hospital system and is associated with a lot of schools.
Should I even ask him?

Even with your great ECs and clinical experience, unless you are a URM, to be competitive for any FL MD school you would need to raise your sGPA to at least 3.3 and get a 27 or above on the MCAT.

If you just retook the MCAT and got 33+ you might also have a chance, but very few people are able to raise an MCAT score by over 3pts unless they didn't study at all the 1st time or english is their 2nd language and they did poorly on the verbal.

Basically you have 2 choices: 1) Enroll in NOVA 2) Do a post-bacc or Special Masters Program and retake the MCAT.

If you want MD, its definitely possible, but you'll have to work for it.

-fellow ex-USAF FF/Medic

I think you should go with the NOVA acceptance. I find MD to be unlikely given the current stats.

Thanks people.
I've heard Nova is a good school. Am I wrong?

Thanks people.
I've heard Nova is a good school. Am I wrong?

NOVA is considered to be one of the better DO schools and they have some of the best clinical rotations for 3rd/4th years among Osteopathic schools.

If you get good grades and do well on the boards (step 1+2) as well as get some pubished research done, you should have no trouble getting into most residencies/specialties in Florida.

However, that being said, even if you kick ass at NOVA, you'll still have very little chance of getting into competitive allopathic residencies on the coasts in certain specialties. This is especially true for surgical subspecialties.

It all depends on what specialties you're interested in and where you want to practice. If you're 100% absolutely sure you want to go into primary care (FM/IM/EM/Peds/OB-GYN/Psych) and work in the SE US, NOVA will be fine. If you're not sure or are interested in surgery/specialty medicine/academic medicine or want to practice on the west coast/NE US, then it will be alot tougher coming from NOVA.

That's what I was wondering. I am still not to sure on how all of that works (residencies and selection).
Would I still be able to do surgery, interventional cardiology and radiology? Radiology? Cardiologist?

You'd be able to choose whatever specialty you like as a D.O., even something like surgery or cardiology--you're just as qualified. The difference is that there are fewer residency spots available to D.O.s in elite specialties like surgery, so while not impossible, it would be much harder to get one.

What about applying to FSU? That is my school of choice and probably the only school I'll bother applying to.
Any chance?

What about applying to FSU? That is my school of choice and probably the only school I'll bother applying to.
Any chance?

Still very slim chance at FSU. MD allopathic schools have an average of a 3.67 CGPA and 3.61 SciGPA and a 31 MCAT. This would be a bit lower since you're in-state but no where near where you are at.

I would take the Nova acceptance right now especially since you don't have the best numbers. If you weren't pre-accepted you might not even get into Nova with those numbers so just take the acceptance. It is the very best option for you. If you don't you will likely spend around 1-2 years AFTER graduation before getting to an MD. Keep in mind you still have to drastically raise your MCAT in that time too, making it closer to 2 years after graduation before you would start medical school. Take the acceptance. You would have a lot less headaches, no stress about applying to medical schools, no need to study for the MCAT again, not to mention you would be saving a ton of money ( ~5k on applying plus ~30-50k if you do an SMP), and not to mention you'll be knowing where you're going after graduation which is a luxury many people don't have.

DO isn't bad at all even for what you want to get into. Matching into DO general or orthopedic surgery is very very doable but Cardiology and Rads will be harder. Also keep in mind that most people change their field of choice in medical school because you'll be exposed to all of medicine.

Considering everything please take the acceptance. It's it the best thing for you and the best opportunity for you to enter medicine.

Last edited:
If you want to go to medical school without taking a substantial amount of time off to improve your application, stick with your current acceptance.

Yeah you guys are right! And as I said before I am completely satisfied and happy with Nova.
My Freshman year really screwed me but I'm only 21 I'll make the best out of DO!

Yeah you guys are right! And as I said before I am completely satisfied and happy with Nova.
My Freshman year really screwed me but I'm only 21 I'll make the best out of DO!

I would take your DO acceptance and run! You would have a tough time getting into NOVA if you applied with your current stats.

Nova is great. People would kill for that spot. Be happy and proud because it is a great accomplishment. I hope you really value that acceptance. But if there is anything I have learned from last application season, it's that you NEVER know what's going to happen. I seriously planned on going to DO school for a few years because I really didn't believe I had a shot for MD. I applied to 3 MD programs at the last second (secondaries sent in December) because I never planned to submit in the first place -- a close friend pushed me to do it. I was given interviews at all 3 and gained acceptances at 2. I'm starting MS1 at my state MD school soon. Applying cant hurt! There's no way NOVA will even know, just give them the money to hold your spot and apply only to your state MD schools. I would not bother applying out of state. You will be surprised how much love these schools show to their instate applicants. Unless there is some sort of stipulation because of the special circumstances in which you were accepted, there is nothing wrong with applying! Good luck!

Last edited: