Pre- and Post- Studying MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naeu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi dudes and dudettes! :welcome:

I had a couple questions for those who have taken or are studying for their MCATs.

1. What was your first practice MCAT test (with NO studying) and post-study or actual MCAT score

2. How many hours did you put into achieve your fabulous score

3. What you wish you did differently while studying/taking the exam

I just took a practice MCAT score and I'm looking for some hope. My worst section was biological sciences, mainly because I was sick the year I took them so my memory is foggy (aka non-existent). I'm hoping I'm not alone in this struggle!:boom:

Members don't see this ad.

First test, AAMC 3 I scored a 23 with zero studying.
~3months later I scored a 32 on the real thing.
No matter how poorly you did on your practice test, your test score will depend primarily on the amount of work you put into studying for it. There are some brains on this site that seem to score upper 30's-40 with minimal effort, but don't let that deter you. The people scoring in those ranges are extremely gifted or worked their absolute tails off for that score (or both, in most cases I'd assume).
Put the time in, learn from your mistakes, and you'll see that score slowly creep up during the next weeks/months.

*Edit: I took all of the AAMC's and SAP's as well as 4-5 Kaplan FL's and I wish that I had taken a few more practice tests, and spread them out more. I think 2 FL's a week for the duration of your studying is the way to go, with one of those being an AAMC. Use the test to go over afterwards and learn from your mistakes that way. There is a ton of advice on this site from previous testers, and people who have scored in the 95%..my best advice is to follow their advice.

Last edited: