Pre-Application Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalDent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I set up an appointment to go and meet with the dean of admissions at a school I am really interested in. I was wondering if you guys could help me get the most out of this experience by helping me think of some questions to ask. Have any of you done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I didn't even realize. I am going to visit Pacific on June 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pacific loves to hear students tell them how bad you want to attend there. Have somw questions about why their three year program is just as good if not better than the four year programs. Also figue out what specific procedures you think are cool, and ask what kind of exposure you get.

thanks veneto

Dr. Y is a fan of college hoops and sports so if you can get that in the conversation then he might remember you when your name is in a pile of applications. Good luck.

Hey Ducks, or anyone else who knows,
Do you know anything about the new dean of admissions. Apparently Kathy Candido is the new dean. Any info?

Hey Ducks, or anyone else who knows,
Do you know anything about the new dean of admissions. Apparently Kathy Candido is the new dean. Any info?

Not sure about Kathy but I am pretty sure Dr. Yarborough and Dean Ferrillo make the final call on acceptance or not.

Thanks GD69, I hope to be seeing you frequently in a year or so. Good luck at UOP this year.

Thanks GD69, I hope to be seeing you frequently in a year or so. Good luck at UOP this year.

Yeah no problem, good luck and make sure you apply as early as possible.

What is this pre application interview, what does it do? Does every school offer it? I'm kind of confused...lol

I don't think schools necessarily "offer" it. I just called up the dean and set up an appointment with her secretary. I just wanted to get a feel for the school. so you got any good questions I could ask?

ask them how they will prepare you to be a great clinical dentist in three years instead of 4. Ask them the amount of procedures you ahve to do and ask them where that fits compared to toher dental schools. try not to ask what are my chances? questions. That question sucks here at SDN and will most certaintly suck at a pre app interview.

What is the didactic load like? When do you take the boards? Where is the break room? Where does everyone live? What do you like about living in San Fran? What is the top three things students love about UoP? How am I going to pay for this? Basically easy questions you can come up with on your own wth some thought.

Thanks Corolla. You came up with some excellent questions. I will definitely use them. I really appreciate it.
Anybody else think of anything? Especially specific to UOP?

i just talked to the assistant dean of my school and he seemed pretty UNprofessional and so the only questions i asked was stuff about my application. his stupid cell phone started ringing and he went outside and talked and so the conversation only lasted about 15 minutes.

Wow! I hope that doesn't happen to me because I am flying up there and spending the weekend in San Francisco. I am from L.A. so I would hate for it to be a huge waste. Thanks for your imput.