Pre-clinic/Sim clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which schools start you in the pre-clinic/sim clinic early in D1 and D2. And not just one every three months but as a part of the curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools start you in the pre-clinic/sim clinic early in D1 and D2. And not just one every three months but as a part of the curriculum.

There's quite a few. I think MWU-IL does. They emphasized it more than any school I interviewed, and you work on it week 1 onwards 2-3 days a week.

UPenn puts the D1's in the actual clinic as dental assistants. First semester is sim lab and the second semester is the real clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
At temple we're waxing teeth from day one in the pre clin. We also did typodont impressions/models/articulators/acrylic temps and filled amalgams (crappily lol).

This semester we have started doing real cavity preps. Class I/2 and cusp capping. We'll be doing just about everything you can with a drill in the next 6 months.

Not sure what D2 curriculum is; I know right now they're building dentures..

Some of my friends at Western said they have already done class I, II, III, and V in the sim lab, first semester. I thought that was pretty impressive.

ASDOH and Louisville also start you out in the sim lab your first semester.

At IUSD, we spend quite a bit of time in the sim/bench lab.

First semester you take Tooth Morphology and Gnathology and start the first half of Single Tooth Direct (STD). Second Semester D1, you finish the second half of STD and take Single Tooth Indirect (STI).

If you click the link below, then click "projects" you can see what specifically we do each semester. Here is a break down of the classes I listed above:

Tooth Morphology - Waxing up teeth for dang good anatomy

Gnathology - Waxing up tooth to get that perfffffect occlusion

STD - Your basic class I-V amalgam and composites. Done 100% in the sim lab

IMGP0368.JPG

STI - All the indirect stuff = Pin retained amalgam Inlays (gold and composite), Onlays (gold), our first gold crown, Veneers, 7/8ths gold crown,

IMGP0155.JPG

Gold Onlay

Then in D2 we do all the dentures, fixed, endo, ortho, RPD, immediate dentures, etc etc etc.

IUSD's sim lab is purdy purdy:

IMGP0473.JPG

IMGP0470.JPG

Oh, I forgot to mention that we do all our own lab work (excluding flasking and processing for our complete dentures). This includes pouring up dies and working casts, Facebow transfer and mounting on the articulator, Waxing up, investing, casting, finishing, polishing our gold inlays, onlays, and multiple Full Gold Crowns we do.

Pretty extensive and you learn quite a bit!

D1- Sem-1 you are in the bench or sim lab doing working 2 or 3 days.
D1-Sem-2 it is more of constant 3 days/week in the sim lab drilling and making stuff in the bench or wet lab.
D2-Sem-1 ~50% of your time is spent in lab
D2-Sem-2 We have lab 5 days a week until spring break. After Spring Break we are in lab twice a day MWF and once a day T,Th!

We take full advantage of the awesome facilities and can manage to spend so much time in there because they are just replacing PBL time with more important things (lab, free time, word on the street is there will be a business course thrown in there in the next year or so starting at D1...)

There's quite a few. I think MWU-IL does. They emphasized it more than any school I interviewed, and you work on it week 1 onwards 2-3 days a week.

MWU modeled their curriculum after UoP, which also follows the same schedule; however, they do finish in 3 years as opposed to 4 years. My UoP Friends started day one in the sim lab, and finished their hard didactics+operative+fixed by the spring time, and start working on patients second year in July doing crowns/operative in the real clinic.

Pretty impressive, considering a 4 year program is hard enough already.

Heres a little UOP insight... so we just about to finish our third quarter which means we are done with operative dentistry (all operative preps.. composite, amalgam, inlays, onlays etc) and we will be done with dental anatomy (so all of our basic wax ups) we still have one more quarter of Fixed prosth, and next quarter we start rotations (endo, clinical cariology, anesthesia, radiology... on each other)

we start quarter 1 with 8 hours per week in the sim lab, quarter 2 and 3 we have 2.5 days per week in the sim lab, and every quarter we have a class 1 day a week (the entire day) where we are working on clinical sciences stuff... either in the clinic working on each other or in the sim lab....

as previously stated... we are pretty fast paced but we really get a chance to get elbows deep in dentistry early on (an it doesnt hurt that we will be done with almost all basic didactics at the end of this quarter... wooohoo)