Pre-college summer research program with stipend

KD1655

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2007
Jersey
Status
Pre-Medical
My younger cousin is a junior in high school in NJ and is "sure" she wants to go to medical school (about as sure as a 17 year old chick is about anything). Anyways, she is in the midst of the college application process and is looking for some scientific research/academia experiences so that she can make a bit more of an educated decision as to waht major she should pursue. Being that her big cousin (me) is a PhD student doing research in neural biomaterials, she asked me if she could "get me coffee and run errands" for me in my lab this summer. However, for a number of reasons not the least of which are that I don't want to have to listen to her high school girl drama everyday, I am looking for alternatives for her so that I don't look like the bad guy. However, I do not have very much experience in pre-college research programs but I was hoping that somebody on this forum may. Does anybody know of any organized pre-college research programs similar to the NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)? While a stipend would be nice, it is not entirely necessary but my cousin does not have the means to pay to attend a program so any suggestions that you have must be tuition-free. Also, program in or near New Jersey would be optimal. I know that those are some pretty rediculous restrictions but if anybody knows of a program, please let me know. Thanks again.