pre-dec 1st interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illusionD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say if schools interview 5 or 6 people for every spot, then what difference does it make if I get interviewed before dec 1st or later?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the logic is that after Dec.1, first acceptances are handed out, so you will be competing for less seats in the class.

So if you interview prior to Dec 1st and did not receive acceptance letter...does that mean you're rejected and will not be considered for the post Dec 1st acceptances? Or will they be throwing you in with the post Dec 1st for further/later review?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if you interview prior to Dec 1st and did not receive acceptance letter...does that mean you're rejected and will not be considered for the post Dec 1st acceptances? Or will they be throwing you in with the post Dec 1st for further/later review?

good question, I just interviewed at nova and am really hoping I get in

If they think your application is strong but not strong enough for a pre-Dec 1st spot, they will hold on to it and throw you in with the post Dec 1st-ers. Which is not ideal, but it's better than a rejection.

If they think your application is strong but not strong enough for a pre-Dec 1st spot, they will hold on to it and throw you in with the post Dec 1st-ers. Which is not ideal, but it's better than a rejection.

what about if you get an interview pre-dec, would they just reject you, or put you on hold?

Say if schools interview 5 or 6 people for every spot, then what difference does it make if I get interviewed before dec 1st or later?

No school interviews 5 or 6 people for every spot....throughout the entire cycle they may get there, but not by Dec first.

Maybey if you have a pre-Dec 1rst interview, and come first week of Dec. they are not sure about you, I think you might get "waitlisted", until they conduct more interviews in winter to further compare you. If I was put on a waitlist I would make every effort to notifty the school of my interest, and keep them updated.

yea i would say pre-dec-1 would be a better deal overall...
for example, if schools do interview 5 ppl for every spot.. it could be something like 3 ppl for every spot for pre-dec... but it could go upto like 7/8 ppl for every spot post dec interviews...

yea i would say pre-dec-1 would be a better deal overall...
for example, if schools do interview 5 ppl for every spot.. it could be something like 3 ppl for every spot for pre-dec... but it could go upto like 7/8 ppl for every spot post dec interviews...

I agree 100%

what about when a school gives you an interview for sec 1st?? Does that mean that they don't think you are competitive enough? I have 3 pre-dec and 1 ok dec 1

what about when a school gives you an interview for sec 1st?? Does that mean that they don't think you are competitive enough? I have 3 pre-dec and 1 ok dec 1

Thats a tough question...it could be that all the pre-dec first spots are full...but just because they interview you on Dec 1st doesn't mean they can't accept you dec 2nd...dec 1st is just the earliest.

Not all schools assign dates, either. I got invites from both Case and Buffalo, and both were "call and schedule a date." March 9th was the earliest spot available for me from Case by the time I got the letter and called :thumbdown: ... at least Buffalo was a more reasonable Dec 4th earliest available (although I took Dec 5th). I guess for schools which don't assign dates, the key to getting a pre-Dec 1 if you're going to get an interview at all is to get your app completed early. My LORs took a little longer than I would have liked and I think that prevented me from getting more pre-Dec 1 interviews than I otherwise might have.