Pre-December Interview Myth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
A concept that has been floating around these forums is that it doesn't matter when your interviews are as long as they are before December 1st. I would actually like to say otherwise. At a number of schools that I have interviewed at, they have straight up told us (the interviewees) that they meet right after we leave and decide on whether or not to accept you into their class. With that being said, that means that the admissions process is, in a sense, rolling. As you interview later and later (even if it is Pre-December), admissions committees fill up their class and it becomes more difficult to get in. If you think about it, it makes sense. Why would admissions committees wait until November, sometimes 3-4 months after the first interviews, to go over everyone's app and decide? They wouldn't be able to accurately remember each candidate as well.

Now, obviously there are plenty of people who interview late in the cycle and get in. But, it is still more difficult, so if you have the option, always schedule your interviews as early as possible!

It has been nice meeting a lot of you on the interview trail, and good luck to everyone who still has interviews! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Most schools usually plan for X number of seats per interview. Meaning if they have 10 interview days before Dec 1st. and 100 seats, they go into each interview day with the intention of only filling 10 seats. Of course this depends on the school/how well you kill your interview but I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Many people in my class interviewed in the spring.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools usually plan for X number of seats per interview. Meaning if they have 10 interview days before Dec 1st. and 100 seats, they go into each interview day with the intention of only filling 10 seats. Of course this depends on the school/how well you kill your interview but I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Many people in my class interviewed in the spring.

Yeah, I know UCSF does it this way as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with this is, you would think most of the early interview dates have more qualified candidates. With that being said, wouldn't they take more people from the earlier interview dates than from the later ones? Not just 10 from each interview date.

Reactions: 1 users