pre-December vs post-December interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentaldog28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if getting a post-December interview hurts your chances of getting in or makes it less likely to get in? I'm still waiting to hear back from my top school choice and I'm nervous that if I do hear back it will be post-December and my chances of getting in won't be as high

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if getting a post-December interview hurts your chances of getting in or makes it less likely to get in? I'm still waiting to hear back from my top school choice and I'm nervous that if I do hear back it will be post-December and my chances of getting in won't be as high

chances are not as high because there are fewer available spots...

Reactions: 1 user
You never know. I got a post December interview and got accepted to my top choice

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are good. Some schools interview for alternate positions, but most are trying to fill the last spots in their class (and therefore you have just as much of a chance as the predec folks).

Chances of an acceptance increases dramatically if offered an interview:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Pre-Dec interview means you competing for all spots, while Post-Dec means you competing for the remaining spots, hence fewer spots. In addition, for the Post-Dec interview, you are likely to be placed in the alternative list compared to Pre-Dec interviews. Moreover, for more competitive schools, Pre-Dec applicants will most likely accept the offer at this school (and reject at others), thus leaving fewer spots for Post-Dec applicants. Just my educated observation.

Reactions: 2 users
From my experience (current D1), post December interviews are just as good as pre December. Each school sends out acceptance offers usually on a rolling basis. The first one goes out in December and the second is usually January. Covid might delay the process. But I wouldn’t be worried about getting an interview after the first wave. Just means you’re still in the running!