Pre-Dent -> Pre-Med, what are my chances? 3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DenTony11235

Hi guys,

So i just took my DAT last week and did pretty well, (92nd percentile), i don't know what 90th percentile would be as an MCAT score (not saying it means I'd get 90th percentile in MCAT, just was wondering... put those pitchforks and torches back in their places).

So my cGPA is 3.5, my sGPA is 3.3, but my BCP gpa is 3.7. I don't know if you guys have a BCP gpa but its basically the bio chem physics GPA, basically all my science classes. The reason my sGPA is so low while my BCP GPA is high is because sGPA includes math classes, and freshman year i took calculus, got an F, then retook it and got a D. That is a huge stain on my transcript, but I've done well enough to bring my cGPA pretty far back, as well as my sGPA pretty far back up.

My ECs are good, I'm VP of a charity organization around school, have tutored chemistry, and I'd be excited to get plenty of volunteer hours at the local hospital.

What do you guys think? Possible?

P.S. I haven't made the choice to switch yet. I just want to evaluate all my options before i commit to dentistry, which is why i want to volunteer at a hospital. Maybe I will find something I'm excited about there, because dentistry does not very much excite me. Thoughts? Be brutally honest. I need the advice of realists.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same boat as you--stuck between dent and med. Keep your grades up but at this point it's more important to figure out what you really want to do by shadowing/volunteering/talking to people.

Beside, you don't want to take the MCAT without being for sure you're doing medicine. trust me i've taken both the DAT and MCAT.

Yes, yes and yes. I will definitely be talking to people. This is actually my last semester in college. If i decide to pursue pre-med, I would be open to taking physiology and maybe one or two other classes, though I'd truly hate to do so. But, if we're speaking on the subject of what I'll be doing for the rest of my life, it is not a problem.

I've taken the DAT last week, material is still super fresh in my head. If you took the DAT first, did it help you a whole lot in your prep for the MCAT? Or are they super different?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to point out that some medical schools require 1-2 semesters of college math (definition of college math varies depending on school) and a C or better is required to fulfill those requirements.

Go ahead and volunteer at a hospital and do some shadowing of different doctors. If you can score in the 90th percentile for the MCAT (~33), you will still be reasonably competitive (check out the table on page 7 here).