• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

RICEman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
So, what are you guys doing between now and June first?
I know that we have wait for June First for ADDSAS application.:)

I'm thinking :idea: about reviewing/taking the DAT, start requesting for LOR's, working on volunteer experience/s, deciding which possible schools we're going to apply/fit, personal statement, and shadowing.

What else can we do?

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Dont forget that daunting personal AADSAS essay

t2thDr14

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
So, what are you guys doing between now and June first?
I know that we have wait for June First for ADDSAS application.:)

I'm thinking :idea: about reviewing/taking the DAT, start requesting for LOR's, working on volunteer experience/s, deciding which possible schools we're going to apply/fit, personal statement, and shadowing.

What else can we do?

The AADSAS app should actually come out mid-May. Last year it came out on May 15th. The first day to SUBMIT the app is June 1st. AADSAS takes freakin' forever (~6 wks) to process the apps before they sent copies to the schools you designate, so apply early!! Some schools fill their classes by December 1st (like Pacific), so apply early early early!

DEFINITELY get those letters of recommendation. 4-6 is good. MUST have one from a dentist who knows you... better not to have a parent write one, even if you worked for him/her for X years. Turned out into a living nightmare for a friend of mine.

If your school has a committee letter system, look into their timeline. For UC Davis, we had to complete all these requirements, like filling out a separate profile form, submitting our latest draft of the personal statement, and scheduling a practice interview with a faculty. THEN they'd send out their committee letter to AADSAS.

You should already have your volunteer and shadowing experiences done by now... but in case you don't, it's not tooo late. Get on it quick. It'll be almost impossible to write a good personal statement with some experience in the dental field, and some decent community service.

Personal statement personal statement personal statement. Brainstorm your activities, experiences, goals, skills, etc. Make sure you answer the prompt, and don't waste space. Try different approaches. Ask friends, parents, relatives, mentors, advising to read it, so you can get different opinions. My PS went through tons of changes up until the very end of May.

Taking the DAT after you apply... Lots of predents take it the summer they apply so it's totally doable. It just doesn't give you the flexibility of retaking it, if you take it too late in the summer. I don't really know how that all works since I took mine the summer before applying.

I'd say worry about picking dental schools last. It's good to have visited dental schools already so you have an idea, but if you haven't, no biggie. You can buy/check out the ADEA: Official Guide to Dental Schools for about $35 to get an idea of what the schools' stats are.

Good luck applicants of 2007-2008. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. =)

About the Ads

bruinpredent

UCLA School of Dentistry
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
The AADSAS app should actually come out mid-May. Last year it came out on May 15th. The first day to SUBMIT the app is June 1st. AADSAS takes freakin' forever (~6 wks) to process the apps before they sent copies to the schools you designate, so apply early!! Some schools fill their classes by December 1st (like Pacific), so apply early early early!

I was under the impression that we could submit it on May 15th, when it comes out?

There are people on predents who submitted theres May 17th, 19th, etc..., but who knows I may be mistaken.

Drill2Fill

DentalStudentWannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Tejas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Anyone know when the first batch of application is actually sent to schools?

ice4804

Let the fun begin...
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Dont forget that daunting personal AADSAS essay

Is this significantly different than your personal statement? If it is, is there anyway to prepare for it...say, looking at the 2007 AADSAS application and see what their essay was?

I was under the impression that we could submit it on May 15th, when it comes out?

This is what I thought, too. Anyone know for sure, if it's June 1 or as soon as you complete it after it's released in mid-May?

SFPredent

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Last year I submitted May 21st. You can submit the day the application is released if you want. I advise against that. It takes quite a few hours to get all of your coursework in and questions answered, and typo's are a big no-no. My application was sent July 10th, the day I took the DAT and AFTER I put in my scores.....such luck!

Drill2Fill

DentalStudentWannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Tejas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Is this significantly different than your personal statement? If it is, is there anyway to prepare for it...say, looking at the 2007 AADSAD application and see what their essay was?

This is what I thought, too. Anyone know for sure, if it's June 1 or as soon as you complete it after it's released in mid-May?

I believe your personal statement and the AADSAD essay are the same thing.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.