Pre-dental route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calico2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently a freshman majoring in Pharmaceutical Sciences but to be honest I am not entirely sure if Pharmacy is the route for me, which I initially thought would be. The saturation of jobs is definitely frightening, and I am beginning to look into other options, such as dentistry.

Would it be possible to earn entry into a dentistry program with a B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences? If so, do you have any suggestions as to how I would approach this new route?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yea frankly its just a different name for a more chemistry focused undergraduate degree. Doesnt matter what you are studyin just keep your BCP gpa high. I was originally in a pharmaceutical stream but decided that it is was too many chem courses

Hey calico, I was totally in your place a couple of years ago. I originally applied to a couple of pharmacy programs senior year of high school and got into them, but was ultimately unsure if that's what I ultimately wanted to do. Because of this, I ended choosing a liberal arts college, because I rationalized that if pharmacy was ultimately what I wanted to do, I could always go back for that. After that I thought I wanted to go into medicine, but was really discouraged by how many unhappy women (not sure if you're a girl or a girl; i'm a girl) doctors there were and how many women chose not to have families because of the high intensity nature of their careers. I then looked at dentistry and so many dentists enthusiastically welcomed me and were glowing with how much they loved their career. I also have always loved working with my hands, so it was the best fit for me. Although, a small part of me will always want to be a physician.

So I would just advise you to shadow doctors, dentists, and pharmacists--all different areas if you can, retail, research, clinic, hospital, etc to really get a feel for all of them. Also google some summer dentistry programs. And try not to worry. Life isn't linear--if you feel confused and unsure, its ok! You'll figure it out! I didn't figure it out until the summer after I graduated from college last year! And yes, keep your BCP/overall grades up and make sure you cover all your pre-req courses, though I know there is a lot of overlap (my sis and cousin are currently in pharm school and love it) between pharm and dentistry/med

Good luck! :)