Pre-dental student-UK

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arvininfinity

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure if that the right forum I am posting this but I just give it a go

So basically I am a currently studying A-levels in UK and now planning to apply for dental schools in US. As far as I am concerned I have to do a bachelor degree in US unis which is about 4 years.

Here is what I am struggling with :

1) how would I pick to university - should I be looking for ranking or just try and read the forums of each university
I am looking for a university with v high standards and v high quality of teaching cause I want it to look good when I apply for dentistry in 4 years!
I mean I have already spoken to admission of few universities but not still not entirely sure

2)As far as the dental entry is concerned, I need to do biology or chemistry degree
would v much like to know about the dental student in past regarding which degree they completed


sorry if the questions are lame😀, its just am not very familier with the whole US education system
 
Not sure if that the right forum I am posting this but I just give it a go

So basically I am a currently studying A-levels in UK and now planning to apply for dental schools in US. As far as I am concerned I have to do a bachelor degree in US unis which is about 4 years.

Here is what I am struggling with :

1) how would I pick to university - should I be looking for ranking or just try and read the forums of each university
I am looking for a university with v high standards and v high quality of teaching cause I want it to look good when I apply for dentistry in 4 years!
I mean I have already spoken to admission of few universities but not still not entirely sure

2)As far as the dental entry is concerned, I need to do biology or chemistry degree
would v much like to know about the dental student in past regarding which degree they completed


sorry if the questions are lame😀, its just am not very familier with the whole US education system

After your A-levels, you will be applying to college, not dental school. School prestige is not a huge concern, but of course, coming from a top 25 might look better. You can apply to US dental schools after a bachelors degree (4 years) in anything (bio, chem, english, history etc etc) as long as you complete all the required prereq courses. Then you take the DAT and apply for dental school which is another 4 years.

Not sure what your situation is, but in order to get licensed in the US after you graduate from dental school, you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident. Keep that in mind.
 
After your A-levels, you will be applying to college, not dental school. School prestige is not a huge concern, but of course, coming from a top 25 might look better. You can apply to US dental schools after a bachelors degree (4 years) in anything (bio, chem, english, history etc etc) as long as you complete all the required prereq courses. Then you take the DAT and apply for dental school which is another 4 years.

Not sure what your situation is, but in order to get licensed in the US after you graduate from dental school, you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident. Keep that in mind.

Oh yeh thanks for the heads up!

wondered if you know how they eveluate my A-level grades!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You would have to search/call each school to make sure.
For Columbia,

Course credit is not given for such accelerated programs except for credit earned through standardized examinations (e.g., AP, IB, A-level exams); such credit will be limited to 16 points, which is equivalent to one full semester at Columbia. For more detailed information, students should refer to the Academic Credit for Transfer Students guide.

I believe most universities treat A-level as equivalent to the US AP courses. You are usually limited to 3-4 classes worth of transfer credits. However, I would NOT recommend using them as your dental pre-reqs. Retake the course in your undergrad as some dental institutions may not accept AP or A-level credit substitutions for pre-req.
 
You would have to search/call each school to make sure.
For Columbia,

Course credit is not given for such accelerated programs except for credit earned through standardized examinations (e.g., AP, IB, A-level exams); such credit will be limited to 16 points, which is equivalent to one full semester at Columbia. For more detailed information, students should refer to the Academic Credit for Transfer Students guide.

I believe most universities treat A-level as equivalent to the US AP courses. You are usually limited to 3-4 classes worth of transfer credits. However, I would NOT recommend using them as your dental pre-reqs. Retake the course in your undergrad as some dental institutions may not accept AP or A-level credit substitutions for pre-req.

I appreciate you replying..yh most uni treat A-levels as AP courses!(I have no idea what AP is but ..)
As for transfers..does that mean I only need to 3 years instead of 4 years undergrad!! or that's just only for my pre-req ...by that I mean having done A-level is like 16 points of all the points required for pre-req?

well..yh I guess I should really resit them-goood thinking 👍:idea:
 
I appreciate you replying..yh most uni treat A-levels as AP courses!(I have no idea what AP is but ..)
As for transfers..does that mean I only need to 3 years instead of 4 years undergrad!! or that's just only for my pre-req ...by that I mean having done A-level is like 16 points of all the points required for pre-req?

well..yh I guess I should really resit them-goood thinking 👍:idea:
If your A-levels were in subjects other than sciences, then I wouldn't resit those courses. If they were in the math and sciences, I would recommend retaking them, ie. Biology I, Chemistry I, and Physics I. That's because if your knowledge in those subjects is good, then you'll get an A, which will look good when applying for dental school. However, if your background isn't on par, then you'll want to retake the course so you can do well in Bio II, Chem II, and Physics II, Math II.

You'll still very likely need to do at least 3.5 years since they will only transfer AT MOST, 16 credits, which is equivalent to one semester (half a year).
 
If your A-levels were in subjects other than sciences, then I wouldn't resit those courses. If they were in the math and sciences, I would recommend retaking them, ie. Biology I, Chemistry I, and Physics I. That's because if your knowledge in those subjects is good, then you'll get an A, which will look good when applying for dental school. However, if your background isn't on par, then you'll want to retake the course so you can do well in Bio II, Chem II, and Physics II, Math II.

You'll still very likely need to do at least 3.5 years since they will only transfer AT MOST, 16 credits, which is equivalent to one semester (half a year).

yh my A-level are all sciences!
am retaking them anyways.
so you suggesting dental schools would like at the qualification I've done in the past 3 years!?(say I apply to dental schools in 3 years time)
also do you know how this transfere is being done? I mean would it be an advantage towards getting a high GPA or would it actually let me down
 
yh my A-level are all sciences!
am retaking them anyways.
so you suggesting dental schools would like at the qualification I've done in the past 3 years!?(say I apply to dental schools in 3 years time)
also do you know how this transfere is being done? I mean would it be an advantage towards getting a high GPA or would it actually let me down

do you mean look at? if so, they look at everything you've done at university, including your non-prerequsites

The transfer has to be done directly with the university you will be attending prior to attending the university. Call them directly and ask for details as to what paperwork you need to submit for processing.

Taking your A-level as credit will not affect your GPA since they are not given a grade. However, if you retake the course while you're in university, then you will be given a grade. Since you want to increase your GPA, you will want to retake these courses, especially if you can do well in them.
 
do you mean look at? if so, they look at everything you've done at university, including your non-prerequsites

haha yh sorry I meant look at! typo!
am a bit confused so they dont look at A-levels? A-levels is not done at university if thats what you thinking!


The transfer has to be done directly with the university you will be attending prior to attending the university. Call them directly and ask for details as to what paperwork you need to submit for processing.

yh some university know exactly what they are doing but some also confuse the term college and university- ..in uk college is not referring to university

one of em told me I can transfer 60 credits..other one 30 credits and 14 credits..not a big deal I guess I can sort out the paper work once am actually in the uni

Taking your A-level as credit will not affect your GPA since they are not given a grade

am slightly confused here..A-levels has a grading system ..so you saying while transferring say math A-level(e.g. got an A) will not influence my GPA! really?😛
. However, if you retake the course while you're in university, then you will be given a grade. Since you want to increase your GPA, you will want to retake these courses, especially if you can do well in them
.

again if say I got an A in a subject (for A-level) then why would I retake it ! you mean to get an even higher grade..

also you know earlier you mentioned some uni dont accept transferred pre req. please name one I wanna look it up

btw you have any idea how I can find some international student doing the same thing!
 
haha yh sorry I meant look at! typo!
am a bit confused so they dont look at A-levels? A-levels is not done at university if thats what you thinking!


yes, I am aware they are not done at university. They see that you've taken it and will give you credit depending on your score, but you will not receive a letter grade for it, thus it will have no impact on your GPA.

yh some university know exactly what they are doing but some also confuse the term college and university- ..in uk college is not referring to university

one of em told me I can transfer 60 credits..other one 30 credits and 14 credits..not a big deal I guess I can sort out the paper work once am actually in the uni



am slightly confused here..A-levels has a grading system ..so you saying while transferring say math A-level(e.g. got an A) will not influence my GPA! really?😛


again if say I got an A in a subject (for A-level) then why would I retake it ! you mean to get an even higher grade..

you should retake it because not all dental schools will accept AP credits as a substitute, let alone the A-levels. Your best bet is to retake it even if you got an A on the A-level because you can easily get a good grade on your college (university) transcript, thus boosting you overall GPA when you are ready to apply in a few years.

also you know earlier you mentioned some uni dont accept transferred pre req. please name one I wanna look it up

yes, this exist. I am not sure whether your college A-levels will count as CC (community college or as AP, but more likely as AP).
Check with schools for current restrictions as this post is older.

Here is a list I compiled of community college and advanced placements limits and conditions for prospective US dental school students. Schools that aren't listed have no restrictions according to the source I utilized (ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2008 - For Students Entering in Fall 2009)).

UASD – 60 hr. CC credit limit
ASDOH – Maximum 90 CC credits
LLU – 64 hr. CC credit limit
UCLA – 70 hr. CC credit limit, 3 semester/4 quarter hour limit on prereq AP credit, no elective AP credit
USCF- 70 hr. CC credit limit, partial AP credit for chemistry, biology, and physics prereqs (check website)
UoP – AP credit for prereqs assessed on individual basis
USC – 100 hr. CC credit limit, 60 hr. AP credit allowance
Western – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP allowed for prereqs or electives
Colorado – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP allowed for prereqs or electives (considered on individual basis)
Howard – No CC prereq or elective credit allowed (maximum of 10 total undergrad CC credits), No AP credit accepted for prereqs or electives
Nova – 60 hr. CC credit limit
Florida – Applicants encouraged to take prereq courses at university level
Georgia – Maximum 90 CC credits
SIU – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit allowed for prereqs
UIC – No AP credit allowed for prereqs
Indiana – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit allowed for prereqs
UI – 60 hr. CC credit limit, biology and chemistry at 4-year institution preferred
Kentucky – No CC elective credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP elective credit
Louisville – 60 hr. CC credit limit, AP taken if also accepted by undergraduate program
Maryland – 60 hr. CC credit limit
BU – No CC for prereqs, 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP for prereqs
Harvard – 60 hr. CC credit limit, AP Calculus and one English course allowed, 4-year institution preferred for prereqs
Tufts – No CC credit allowed, No AP credit for prereqs (must take them at 4-year institution)
Detroit Mercy – 60 hr. CC credit limit, upper level courses in discipline equal to AP credit taken recommended
Michigan – 60 hr. CC credit limit, Applicant must receive AP credit on transcript
Minnesota – 64 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit for electives
Mississippi – 60 hr. CC credit limit
UMKC – No CC prereq credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Creighton – No CC prereq credit, 64 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Nebraska – No CC credit accepted, 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
UNLV – 60 CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
UMDNJ – No AP prereq credit
Columbia – 60 hr. CC credit limit
NYU – No CC prereq credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit, students with AP science credit expected to take higher level courses in that discipline
Stony Brook – 60 hr. CC credit limit
UNC – 64 hr. CC credit limit
Case – 30 hr. CC credit limit
Ohio St. – No CC prereq credit, No AP prereq credit
OU – No AP prereq credit (English and Psychology are exceptions)
OHSU – 32 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit on official transcript accepted
UPenn – 60 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit on official transcript accepted
Pittsburgh – 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted (credits counted)
Temple – No CC prereq credit, 6 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
MUSC – 10 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Meharry – 6 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Tennessee – No AP credit accepted
Baylor – 60 hr. CC credit limit
Houston – 60 hr. CC credit limit
San Antonio – No AP credit generally accepted (check website)
VCU – 60 hr. CC credit limit
WVU – 72 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit for English requirements only
Marquette – No CC prereq credit, 52 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit accepted but subject to change at discretion of admissions committee

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=611636


btw you have any idea how I can find some international student doing the same thing!

Not too sure, as I am going to medical school, not dental school. Perhaps you should check out this forum too.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53