Pre-dental Summer Enrichment Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketsfan18

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Did any of you guys apply to any summer enrichment programs this year? If so, where did you apply and did you hear back yet? Also, let me know if you got accepted!

I applied to SPEP collegiate II at Texas A&M Baylor Dental School, UCLA PREP, MDPP at Uconn, and SAEP at VCU. Currently, I've only had an interview with UCLA.

If anyone has ever been apart of one of these programs, please let me know your experience.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, these SMDEP/SPEP programs are a waste of a summer..

You can easily obtain the same information/experience (probably a more thorough one as well) from these programs when you shadow, talk with other pre-dental/dental students and ask specific questions to ADCOMs..

Apply to a REU/NSF-Funded program or even the NIH's SIP, which looks great on an application considering its selectiveness.

I would disagree with the person above. SMDEP/SPEP was one of the best programs that I ever did. It solidified my career choice into dentistry and it looks great on your application. There is also a summer program at the University Of Michigan called Profile For Success. The deadline for that is approaching and you don't need an interview!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would disagree with the person above. SMDEP/SPEP was one of the best programs that I ever did. It solidified my career choice into dentistry and it looks great on your application. There is also a summer program at the University Of Michigan called Profile For Success. The deadline for that is approaching and you don't need an interview!
^Boo

SAEP at VCU sent an email today about interviewing :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, can you tell me a little about your experiences at SPEP? I really like what the program has to offer and hoping I get an interview soon. Please let me know! Thanks!

Hi, can you tell me a little about your experiences at SPEP? I really like what the program has to offer and hoping I get an interview soon. Please let me know! Thanks!
SMDEP/SHPEP is a phenomenal program, I did it a few years ago. Message me if you (or anyone else here) has questions regarding it, I'd be happy to help.

I am from Virginia and I also go to VCU. How about you?
I'm from Texas! How did your interview go for SAEP? I haven't gotten an email yet for one. :( I'm assuming it's because I'm out of state and they prioritize Virginia residents.

This is a tremendous experience on your application, if you have the funds and are committed be sure to complete a program.

I actually have a prezi presentation over the Summer Predental Enrichment Program.
I did the program this past summer and it was the most rewarding experience! I highly recommend it and in my presentation you can see why :)

P.S. I forgot to include that they do an award ceremony based on how well you perform during the program so be sure to keep up if you go!

Reactions: 1 users

I cannot express how much I agree with Kaytime! SMDEP had such a huge influence on my resolve for dentistry, and it brought me in contact with communities I didn't even know existed! The friends I made during that summer are still very close even now (years later). Plus, I had far more hands on experience there than I've had from simple shadowing. Part of the program involved working in the dental student labs and practicing waxing techniques. It was a hugely rewarding experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have a prezi presentation over the Summer Predental Enrichment Program.
I did the program this past summer and it was the most rewarding experience! I highly recommend it and in my presentation you can see why :)

P.S. I forgot to include that they do an award ceremony based on how well you perform during the program so be sure to keep up if you go!

Thank you so much! And thanks all for sharing.

Question though, what was the interview process for this program like? Also, I'm planning on taking the DAT after the program if I get accepted. Should I set a date now or should I wait until I get into the program since the program pays for the DAT? Please let me know! Thanks!

I did SPEP collegiate II a few summers ago and I did a summer program that was offered at my state's dental school (LSU). I know that participating in these programs made me a more competitive applicant. If you have any specific questions about either program just shoot me a DM.

Hello everyone,

Did any of you guys apply to any summer enrichment programs this year? If so, where did you apply and did you hear back yet? Also, let me know if you got accepted!

I applied to SPEP collegiate II at Texas A&M Baylor Dental School, UCLA PREP, MDPP at Uconn, and SAEP at VCU. Currently, I've only had an interview with UCLA.

If anyone has ever been apart of one of these programs, please let me know your experience.

Thanks!
Have you heard anything from them? email or call?

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

I applied for the Teaxs a&m program, haven't heard anything.

I applied for the Teaxs a&m program, haven't heard anything.
Same, I am honestly too scared to call because I have been emailing them before a thousand times so at this point I am waiting on a rejection :whistle:

No but most likely they will roll them out Monday since I think it's only Janie that calls while she is in the office

No but most likely they will roll them out Monday since I think it's only Janie that calls while she is in the office
Gotcha! Let me know if you get a call! Do you know when they would tell you if you get accepted or not?

Gotcha! Let me know if you get a call! Do you know when they would tell you if you get accepted or not?
We are suppose to be emailed by Friday of our status

I call Texas and they said they have until Friday
I also suggest you apply to this 3-week program at UT- Health San Antonio http://dental.uthscsa.edu/LEAD/ you have to create a code for the application. Overall it is great way to experience the UT Health system. They provide a Kaplan course, mock interviews, weekly dental pre-clinical or didactics exposure, and a stipend.

I also suggest you apply to this 3-week program at UT- Health San Antonio http://dental.uthscsa.edu/LEAD/ just you have to create a code for the application. Overall it is great way to experience the UT Health system. They provide a Kaplan course, mock interviews, weekly dental pre-clinical or didactics exposure, and a stipend.
Just got an email, I didn't get into the Texas A&M Collegiate ll. Good luck to all that applied.

I have applied to UCLA pre-med PREP program and I have not heard back yet. Has anyone heard back from them??

SMDEP/SHPEP is a phenomenal program, I did it a few years ago. Message me if you (or anyone else here) has questions regarding it, I'd be happy to help.
I did the VCU SAEP last summer. LOVED it! Great experience.

I'm also going this year but I just got an email saying I got in. no interview. not VCU student either but instate.

Did majority of the students take the DAT after or before the program?
Also do you know by any chance how graduates of the program do on the acceptance to VCU or any other schools?
Also do you have any tips for the program? housing, food, transportation, study materials, etc...i know for sure cabinis (?) is not the best dorm on campus by far.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Summer Enrichment Program | University of Detroit Mercy