Pre Fellowship Interview Visit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harlesmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am planning to apply for a fellowship in one of the most competitive programs in east coast. I have emailed the program director expressing my interest and specific reason why I choose their program. I received positive response from the PD and he asked me to send my resume which I did. It's been two weeks now since I sent my resume but I haven't received any reply. Obviously it was not a formal application via ERAS but I am getting a bit paranoid now since I haven't received any reply, maybe he is not interested after reviewing my resume ? I am keeping positive thought that he might be busy. He did hint it in his email that he would like to discuss my application further (given special circumstances I have) so I was thinking of visiting the program for a pre-interview visit. It will be a good chance to learn about the program better and see if it really fits my future career goal (I have specific research interest). Do you think it's a good idea to email the program director again and ask for a meeting even before I am granted an interview ? I am afraid of giving a wrong impression. Any thoughts will be appreciated, thx !

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of a pre-interview visit. If you officially apply and they offer you an interview, you will have plenty of time to ask questions of the program in order to gauge whether it's a good fit for research, etc. If you're trying to determine if you should apply at all, you can probably gather information fairly easily through email and their website.

I've never heard of a pre-interview visit. If you officially apply and they offer you an interview, you will have plenty of time to ask questions of the program in order to gauge whether it's a good fit for research, etc. If you're trying to determine if you should apply at all, you can probably gather information fairly easily through email and their website.

Thanks for your reply. To certain extent, by reading their website and fellowship brochure, agree you can gauge if the program fits you but there are many other things (I think) better discussed in person. There are so many technical things which requires certain arrangement to make things work due to my special circumstances. Also I am interested in observing the rounds or participate in their didactic teaching session. These obviously are difficult to arrange during the formal interview session. Maybe best to do elective there but I have used up all of my electives months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not recommend trying to push the PD for a pre-interview visit. It is better to do the usual formal interview and during that time express your interest and reasoning throughout the process. Then do a f/u call and take it from there.

YMMV and there could be exceptions, but given what you've written, I would not push by sending more emails, etc.

I do not recommend trying to push the PD for a pre-interview visit. It is better to do the usual formal interview and during that time express your interest and reasoning throughout the process. Then do a f/u call and take it from there.

YMMV and there could be exceptions, but given what you've written, I would not push by sending more emails, etc.
Thanks for the sharing your thoughts !