Pre-interview hold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobkar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been put on hold pre-interview for a few DO schools and I'm not sure what to make of it. Should I consider it a silent rejection or do I still have a chance? If I do have a chance, should I be sending updates or letter of interests and when would be the best time to send them?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is normal, and am in the same boat. Schools are just flooded with secondaries right now, and are probably running low on coffee. In all honesty, I'm going to wait a week before giving admissions a little nudge

Some schools (such as CCOM, AZCOM) will put you on pre-interview hold meaning they have decided not to extend an interview invite at the time, but they also don't want to reject you. For CCOM and AZCOM, they review your file again later in the application season (I think in the spring). It may help to specify which schools you're talking about so others can chime in on what pre-interview hold means for that school. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to take over the thread but I have the same question. Was recently placed on hold at Western Pomona. Should I send a letter of interest next week? Wait till early December or maybe even the new year? :-/

I'm on pre-interview hold at a few places (including AZCOM) but it's largely because I'm retaking the MCAT in January. I knew that would hold up the process for me, but I figured that was better than getting an outright rejection with my first score.

Has anyone ever written a letter of interest either while on pre interview hold, or even if you just haven't been offered an interview or heard anything for a month? Is this normal, or does it come off as too antsy? I have found via the forums that pre med MD students have done this, and for some of them it resulted in movement and an interview. Just curious to see how many pre-DOs do this/done this, and whether they recommend it? Thanks in advance :)

Not trying to take over the thread but I have the same question. Was recently placed on hold at Western Pomona. Should I send a letter of interest next week? Wait till early December or maybe even the new year? :-/

I applied last year, submitted a secondary in October and was put on a pre-interview hold for COMP-Pomona. I had pretty much written it off and was preparing to attend a different program when I finally got an invitation for a mid-April interview. So no, a pre-interview hold is not necessarily a silent rejection.

In terms of contacting the admissions office, I sent one email in January updating the adcom with new grades, a summary of new letters of recommendation, and a expression of my enthusiasm for the program. Shortly after receiving it, they acknowledged that it had been added to my file. The next time I heard back from them was two months later for the interview invitation.

Reactions: 3 users
I applied last year, submitted a secondary in October and was put on a pre-interview hold for COMP-Pomona. I had pretty much written it off and was preparing to attend a different program when I finally got an invitation for a mid-April interview. So no, a pre-interview hold is not necessarily a silent rejection.

In terms of contacting the admissions office, I sent one email in January updating the adcom with new grades, a summary of new letters of recommendation, and a expression of my enthusiasm for the program. Shortly after receiving it, they acknowledged that it had been added to my file. The next time I heard back from them was two months later for the interview invitation.

Thank you so much for your input! Gives me hope. May I ask if you were ultimately accepted? Or are attending a difft program? Really appreciative!

Thank you so much for your input! Gives me hope. May I ask if you were ultimately accepted? Or are attending a difft program? Really appreciative!
I'm now attending the program.

I have been put on hold for AZCOM, DMU-COM and Western. Theres still so many schools I haven't heard back from. Considering that I applied to all of them in August I'm assuming they also put me on hold but didn't bother to inform me.

26 MCAT, 3.8 science and cumulative GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Send updates and interest. I was put on pre interview hold, eventually invited to interview and then accepted at a school last cycle. Good things can happen so don't count yourself out yet!

Send updates and interest. I was put on pre interview hold, eventually invited to interview and then accepted at a school last cycle. Good things can happen so don't count yourself out yet!
Do you mind sharing the school, timeline of hold and when you were called to interview, and how many update/interest letters you sent? Just to get an idea. If you feel it's too personal then don't worry about it! Thanks

Do you mind sharing the school, timeline of hold and when you were called to interview, and how many update/interest letters you sent? Just to get an idea. If you feel it's too personal then don't worry about it! Thanks

Nope not a problem! It was VCOM-CC. I turned my primary in in June, but didn't get a secondary until September. Put on hold in January, sent an update regarding new grades from fall courses, and got an interview invite like two weeks later for an interview in early February. Even though I was accepted, I didn't end up going there though. Thought I'd try to give some hope to some people in that position! Never sit back and do nothing.

Nope not a problem! It was VCOM-CC. I turned my primary in in June, but didn't get a secondary until September. Put on hold in January, sent an update regarding new grades from fall courses, and got an interview invite like two weeks later for an interview in early February. Even though I was accepted, I didn't end up going there though. Thought I'd try to give some hope to some people in that position! Never sit back and do nothing.

Great, thanks for the tips! And congrats on the acceptance as well as for the school you are currently attending!

What do you put in the updates? Were you shadowing or volunteering or doing something new? I want to send an update to a few schools but I don't know if I have anything beneficial to add.

What do you put in the updates? Were you shadowing or volunteering or doing something new? I want to send an update to a few schools but I don't know if I have anything beneficial to add.

The updates I sent were my new grades (i retook three science courses so it was a significant increase). I also got a new job as a chem tutor so that was in there too. Shadowing is always a good thing to do if you don't know what else you can add though :) I recommend trying to find an OMM doc in your area if you haven't done so already - it gave me a lot to talk about!

The updates I sent were my new grades (i retook three science courses so it was a significant increase). I also got a new job as a chem tutor so that was in there too. Shadowing is always a good thing to do if you don't know what else you can add though :) I recommend trying to find an OMM doc in your area if you haven't done so already - it gave me a lot to talk about!
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. Fighting for the dream but you know how it goes. I'm not taking any classes and I have shadowed a few hours this year. You don't think it is necessary to start any new volunteer positions or anything of that sort? Thanks again.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. Fighting for the dream but you know how it goes. I'm not taking any classes and I have shadowed a few hours this year. You don't think it is necessary to start any new volunteer positions or anything of that sort? Thanks again.

If you think you are going to need updates down the line I would start trying to line them up now. If u can come across a volunteer position I say go for it. I personally think shadowing is the easiest/quickest thing to get so it's a good go-to update. But whatever is relevant works!

Is now a good time to update for Western and send a letter of intent?

Thought I would try to revamp this thread, I am still on a pre-interview hold, submitted in January, I have a 29 MCAT and 3.7 gpa.. losing hope with Western :/ any advice?

I think this is normal, and am in the same boat. Schools are just flooded with secondaries right now, and are probably running low on coffee. In all honesty, I'm going to wait a week before giving admissions a little nudge

There are no words to describe how hilarious I found this comment lol