"Pre-Interviews"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doggums

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So in my anxiously awaiting applications to even start being reviewed, I've read about the timeline of interview invites for PhD programs from last year. I've come across a couple schools that people talk about having "pre-interviews" for over the phone before being invited to actually interview. Is this another step in the weeding out process? Can you get a "pre-interview" and not an in person interview?

If yes... what is it? How does it differ from the normal interview? I've looked at the websites of schools that apparently do this (UConn and Yale both come to mind) and they mention nothing about it.

Yes, it is a step in the weeding out process. It usually means they're trying to decide on a final interview invite list. I didn't have any of these calls myself but others that did said it was usually a brief 20-minute or so phone call with the faculty member you applied to asking questions about your interest and what excites you about their program.

My mentor was just talking about this with me. I think its the norm for doctoral programs, at least in psych. I think your basically supposed to have a bunch of questions, just like you would for the in-person interview. My mentor said they normally email you and set up a specific time and date, so I guess don't worry about it until then.

Members don't see this ad :)
So in my anxiously awaiting applications to even start being reviewed, I've read about the timeline of interview invites for PhD programs from last year. I've come across a couple schools that people talk about having "pre-interviews" for over the phone before being invited to actually interview. Is this another step in the weeding out process? Can you get a "pre-interview" and not an in person interview?

If yes... what is it? How does it differ from the normal interview? I've looked at the websites of schools that apparently do this (UConn and Yale both come to mind) and they mention nothing about it.

Keep in mind there may be a good amount of within program variability when it comes to pre-interviews VIA phone or Skype.