pre match freak out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YinYin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Okay, so I'm totally freaking out here.

I got offered a pre match (I'm an osteopath) from a program that I felt very neutral about. I was planning on ranking them but more towards the bottom half of my list. But, I know that this year has been insane and I'm not sure I should be taking any chances.

Anyway, I (wisely or unwisely), emailed my #1 program and basically asked them if there was any chance of me getting in there. The PD responded that answering my question would be a violation of NRMP.

Did I just totally ruin my chances of getting into my #1 program? Should I accept this pre-match? I just want to know your opinions ...

I think I'm going to hide in a corner and cry now ... :(

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think you ruined anything. To me, it sounds like your #1 choice does not have you ranked particularly highly and didn't want to tell you that, so they used the "match violation" thing as an excuse (I believe that it is not against the rules for programs/applicants to tell each other how they ranked; it's just against the rules to make how you rank someone contingent on how they ranked you). I mean, come on, that kind of response is sort of unfriendly. I don't think they would talk that way to their #1 pick (and actually if they do act that way to people it might be a sign it's not the right place for you anyway).
I think that if they were aware of the prematch and decided not to offer a prematch to you then you can unfortunately assume that they were not all that gung ho about you to begin with. While that can be disappointing, it's possible that whatever program you do end up at will wind up being for the best in the long run. Good luck.

YinYin PM me if you want to discuss in private. My advice. Its a tough year you had the luxury of getting a GUARANTEED spot! WOW that speaks a lot for you. You could decline it and continue the rankings but what if you are UNMATCHED? You would be very upset.
Now a lot has to do with your profile, your stats, and you and your and family needs.

If I had the opportunity I would take the offer but again I do not know your future ambitions.

Good Luck
Diane L Evans DO