Pre-MD/PhD summer decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaverfordSquirrel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SOS. I am a rising senior who is pursuing an MD/PhD. I attend an all-undergraduate college.

Here is my research experience:
Summer after freshman year: 10-week cancer research internship at a cancer center near home (convenient commuting)
Sophomore year: on-campus molecular biology research
Summer after sophomore year: stayed on campus for 10 weeks
Junior year: continuing same on-campus research position

This summer, I can stay on-campus again, but I was recently offered a summer internship position at Penn (ugh they're only giving me five days to make a decision...). Can you help me sort out the pros and cons of taking the position at Penn as opposed to continuing my on-campus project? Should I stay on campus again?

For example,
Pros:
-Penn program provides a generous stipend (while my on-campus job gives me less than half)
-Good opportunity to make career network for future gap year jobs and meet Perelman faculty

Cons:
-A third summer project (would MD-PhD adcomms see this as a red flag? Consider that I've been doing the same on-campus research since sophomore year. I'm returning to my on-campus research project for my senior year thesis work anyways...)

Thanks for helping me out!

Members don't see this ad.

Haverford (if that's where you go via username) has some pretty good research for being an undergrad only school and can offer a great deal of development and involvement in your projects. I'd say if you work were to be the difference in a first/second author publication submitted before secondaries then it wouldn't be worth it to go to Penn. If not, as Fencer says Penn has a lot of high power labs and a summer of work could mean exposure to a big institution more similar to the place you will do an md/phd and the possibility of a paper depending on the state of the project you hop on to. This is speaking strategically of course and obviously money can be a decisive factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am with Fencer on this. Even if you are at an elite undergrad institution such as Haverford, doing a summer at Penn will give a boost to your application. While it is only a couple of months, it will generate a recommendation letter from a faculty member at one of the top research institutions in the country. As someone who reviews hundreds of MD-PhD applications a year, I can tell you that this will gain you points in the application review process.

Most program directors know what Haverford is (and is not). One of the best liberal colleges of the world with a great track record for developing creative minds. Nevertheless, it will be useful to you to attend the summer program at Penn.

Reactions: 1 users