Pre-Med at UC Davis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben_Nguyen

Reaction score
I am attending UC Davis this fall and I was wondering how Pre Med is like there. Is the atmosphere cutthroat? Are there pre medical opportunities available ?

Members don't see this ad.

1) there are gunners everywhere
2) the gunners usually fail or burn out
3) there are premed opportunities abound everywhere

I went to a different UC but I can tell you for sure that UC Davis is a great undergrad and you'll have plenty of opportunities there. It's a feeder school, meaning many medical schools (particularly the UCs) accept many of their alumni

UC-Davis is well-respected enough that if you do well, get a great MCAT and do all of the other things (research, EC's, shadowing, etc) you will have good options for medical school. Keep in mind that east coast schools do not really understand the differences between the UC's, other than knowing UCLA and UC Berkeley, but a great GPA and a great MCAT will distinguish you.

If you are interested in research, there are a good number of research opportunities available at UC-D. My advice there is to take some time to pick a lab that seems like a good fit for you, and then stay in that lab all 4 years, including summers, if possible. If research is not your thing, you will have lots of other opportunities to get clinical experience and exposure and ways to get involved in volunteering for people less fortunate than yourself.