Pre-med Committee Eval all mighty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been calling adcoms about LORs and what they explicitly want in terms of science/non-science recs. It turns out for most schools your pre-medical evaluation will suffice. This means if you follow the rules for the pre-med committee eval. at your own school ( ie # of science to non-science etc.) you should be ok. i am a little worried because I only have one faculty science letter(which is ok at my school) and some schools are looking for more. Apparently this is no problem if you are sending a Pre-med Committee Eval. However, if you are sending individual letters you must abide by the number of science recs.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

Members don't see this ad.

bumpity BUMP

Past applicants is this true

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting school tomorow. For the last application process, I sent out my pre-med committee letter (with all individual letters attached) to all of the schools I applied to. I had 3 letters from science professors, 2 letters from MDs I had worked with, and 1 letter from a statistician I had worked with. (This seems like a lot, but I am non-traditional. I needed to cover undergrad, grad school, post-bac and work experience.) I think some of the schools had listed that humanities letters were required, but no one at 25 schools gave me any trouble about my letters. Unless that is they rejected me because of them and didn't tell me why.

Hope this helps.

see, i'm a bit confused about all this. Down here in Texas, the schools don't really give preference to LORs. They just want evidence that at least one of your letters is from a science prof.

But NYMC called me the other day and told me that even though my committee sent a letter (and i guess attached it to the three I sent to my committee), they need MORE letters. This means i have to find another sci and non-sci professor to write me letters. :mad:

very confused here. i thought that they'd be content with merely a letter from my pre-med committee. NYMC is the only school that has contacted me about this problem...I've already received many invites to interview at other schools. And i'm still debating whether or not to find letters this late in the process...

picklesalt,

I am from TX as well and in the same situation you are in. I am going to call schools tomorrow and find out if sending a pre med committee eval will suffice for any rec requirments. I already know Duke doesnt care, they said a PI could count as a science rec.

longhorn,

Good for you. I should have contacted all these schools a long time ago. I wrote some friendly profs of mine today and hopefully they won't mind writing me a quick letter. I think I am going to have them send these letters to all the AMCAS schools I applied to (I applied to all the Texas schools with TMDSAS and six in the northeast with AMCAS) just to save myself the trouble. I just hate how much time is wasted before committees even see my application. And I am still puzzled as to why NYMC is the only school with the problem...my pre-med committee letter seemed to suffice elsewhere.