Pre-med committee LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-iwish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I know that a lot of med schools require that your transcripts/LORs be sent through your undergrad school's pre-med committee. Does the same hold true for D.O. schools? Also, do D.O. schools require an LOR for the pre-med committee? I'm asking this because my pre-med comm. isnt crazy about me, and I dont really want a letter from them. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One more question onto this.... I don't know of a pre-med committee at my college, but can my pre-med advisor, who is on the board of admissions of the medical school at MSU (my college - the MD one) count too? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
MD-iwish said:
Hi guys, I know that a lot of med schools require that your transcripts/LORs be sent through your undergrad school's pre-med committee. Does the same hold true for D.O. schools? Also, do D.O. schools require an LOR for the pre-med committee? I'm asking this because my pre-med comm. isnt crazy about me, and I dont really want a letter from them. Thanks!
:mad:
Seriously I think that people are getting way too lazy in these forms!! This is not the ONLY way to get questions answered! Be resourceful and look at the source: AACOM!!

http://aacom.org/colleges/

Choose a school and look at the requirements!

Most schools if they ask for a pre-med committee will accept 3 LOR from a min of 2 science profs and one other. I would call the school and ask once you find out what they require for LOR!!

This website does not say whether or not a pre-med commitee can be replaced by an advisor... Just asking an opinion, because I have looked at the requirements for the schools and only one had "committee or advisor". I do not know of any committee at my school so that is why I am on this forum asking if anyone has just used their advisor! ;)

Jezzielin said:
This website does not say whether or not a pre-med commitee can be replaced by an advisor... Just asking an opinion, because I have looked at the requirements for the schools and only one had "committee or advisor". I do not know of any committee at my school so that is why I am on this forum asking if anyone has just used their advisor! ;)

My post was not in reference to your's it was to the OP. My undergrad did not have a committee so I just used three sci profs. I think that you'd have to call the schools you are interested in and ask if just your advisor is okay. The BEST way to find out about important info like this is to contact the schools directly.

P.S.
I was not in a good mood earlier, so I apologize for the nastiness of my OP!! :)

Heya guys!

I think requirements vary from school to school - some want one from a pre-medical advisory committee, others will take 2 advisors and a DO or MD. You'll need to research the requirements for each individual school you are applying to.

Good luck! :)

Thanks a lot for your responses guys, sorry to angst you DRJME, no hard feelings? :D

DRJME said:
My post was not in reference to your's it was to the OP. My undergrad did not have a committee so I just used three sci profs. I think that you'd have to call the schools you are interested in and ask if just your advisor is okay. The BEST way to find out about important info like this is to contact the schools directly.

P.S.
I was not in a good mood earlier, so I apologize for the nastiness of my OP!! :)

No prob, nothin' but love :love: