pre-med committee vent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTLizzy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to give a thousand paper cuts to the pre-med committee and academic records people at my undergrad school in punishment for the frustration they're giving me.

I graduated almost 2 years ago and apparently they forgot that was a good student, worked hard, was an honest student, was involved in school activities and oh yeah...shelled out about $90,000 to them. You'd think the least they could do is write me a three paragraph letter.

When I was an undergrad there was this "Chairman's Circle"....sort of like The Skulls...where the select few students who they believed were going to get into med school had weekly meetings, went to special lectures, and got the whole med school application process handed to them on a silver platter. Well, I wasn't included in this bunch.

So now I need a letter from the pre-med committee for my applications. The school web site says that for a pre-med letter just sent $2 per request to the academic records office. So I've been doing that for the past month every time a secondary comes in. And at least one check has been cashed. I called today to make sure those letters were sent because I the schools havent gotten anything. Guess what I find out? "Oh, we couldn't do that because you would have to have a letter already on file. We faxed that to the Dean's office." Okee...call the dean's office. Nope...that didn't go there. Must have gone to the Pre-Med Committee chairman's office. But his secretary is only in from 9-9:15 every fourth tuesday of the month when there's a waxing moon (or some such nonsense) so we'll take a message and have her call you."

The pre-med committee chairman is a 300 year old priest. I don't think I can bring myself to yell at him if I don't get some help. It might kill him and then I won't get my letter, PLUS I'll be damned to the eternal fires of hell.

Thanks for letting me vent. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: very creative way to vent.

That sucks dude.

The process is a pain in the ass. But hopefully worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My premed committee doesn't provide letters therefore I had to get an extra science. All they do is collect the letters for me... keep them safe from my view... and send them to any school I want (free after opening a $35 file).

When I was ready to send my letters this year I found out I was short one because they had lost it... School was not in session and I had to try and track down a science professor to get them to send another letter. The situation did not look good and I almost gave up, but in the end I got my letters sent.

Now I offer some advice... go to the premed committee and talk to a person in charge! You will be amazed at what can get done when you find a real person to annoy. I called every day! Keep in mind they have to deal with many other annoying premeds so be very nice! "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

-Good Luck :cool:

DrB said:
Now I offer some advice... go to the premed committee and talk to a person in charge! You will be amazed at what can get done when you find a real person to annoy. I called every day! Keep in mind they have to deal with many other annoying premeds so be very nice! "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

-Good Luck :cool:

That's exactly what I'm going to do in the morning. I know for a fact now that my letter requests have gotten to the chairman of the pre med committee....but that only happened this afternoon. So in the morning I'll be on the phone to make sure those letters are getting written one way or another. Why can't the rest of the world be in business at 10pm so I can get these things done immediately!

The part that's stressing me out is that this delays my application. I know I'm still far from the deadlines, but it's still stressing me. It shouldn't be a problem, though. I'm sure there are people who are just submitting their primary and will be doing the secondaries far later than I have and will still get in.

EMTLizzy said:
That's exactly what I'm going to do in the morning. I know for a fact now that my letter requests have gotten to the chairman of the pre med committee....but that only happened this afternoon. So in the morning I'll be on the phone to make sure those letters are getting written one way or another. Why can't the rest of the world be in business at 10pm so I can get these things done immediately!
Well, I spoke with the mean, nasty 300 year old priest. He really was quite nasty. Said something along the lines of, "Well, I don't know you or anything about you so how can I write a letter about you?" I told him I'd tell him anything he wants to know and I'd send him a copy of my CV. I also reminded him that even though I only graduated a year and a half ago, I wasn't invited to be a part of the Chairman's Circle and, therefore, was not invited to get to know him. He said, "Well, those were highly motivated, and very bright students who I got to know very well so I could write glowing letters for them."

Interesting...I responded, "Well, I got to know some of them very well also. Especially when I would have to bring them to the hospital in the middle of the night because they were drunk, vomiting, and passed out." (I was on my campus EMS team. All I got in a response to the jab at his "very bright students" was silence.

He told me to get at least two letters from former profs. so he can include some quotes in the letter he writes. Then he added that I was a "low priority" since I already graduated and he has other letters to write for current students. Ahem, excuse me, I sent my original request about a month ago and my check has already been cashed. I reminded him that this means the school took my money, but has not provided the service for which I paid. "Would a letter from a lawyer help speed up the process?"

"I'll get to it as soon as I have the necessary letters."

Peachy! That should be in about two weeks. And I'll be sure to call him at least once a week until those letters are sent out.

I just love being spunky! :D