Pre-Med Douche bag story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Will2Survive

All it takes is Will
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, today I was at the local gym with my best friend. I was in the locker room when a guy in scrubs and a white coat walks in. At first I thought "wow, he looks too young to be a doctor." So I ask him " hey are you a doctor?" He replies and I quote " No, I just got out of Biology Lab." I was like oh thats cool. lol wtf who goes into a gym wearing scrubs and a white coat and is not a doctor...
 
Cool story bro.

Also, implying wearing a white coat and scrubs to a gym is acceptable for doctors.
 
So, today I was at the local gym with my best friend. I was in the locker room when a guy in scrubs and a white coat walks in. At first I thought "wow, he looks too young to be a doctor." So I ask him " hey are you a doctor?" He replies and I quote " No, I just got out of Biology Lab." I was like oh thats cool. lol wtf who goes into a gym wearing scrubs and a white coat and is not a doctor...
:laugh: doctors don't wear their coats around in public anyways.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i also deck myself out fully in scrubs and a white coat before looking at drosophila and running PCRs. everyone i pass on the street needs to know that i have a 40% chance of maybe becoming a doctor eventually someday.
 
I find it disgusting when people where scrubs outside of the hospital/clinic. I've worked in a hospital for 9 years and seen firsthand the bodyfluids/sputum/feces that end up on scrubs. Next time you see someone in scrubs in public, just think C.Diff....lol.
 
I find it disgusting when people where scrubs outside of the hospital/clinic. I've worked in a hospital for 9 years and seen firsthand the bodyfluids/sputum/feces that end up on scrubs. Next time you see someone in scrubs in public, just think C.Diff....lol.
Im sure if someone gets anyone of those on them they would change. Im sure everyone that works in a hospital owns more than one pair of scrubs.
 
Im sure if someone gets anyone of those on them they would change. Im sure everyone that works in a hospital owns more than one pair of scrubs.

Actually, many times you are leaning on the bed to evaluate a patient and you have no idea that you just soiled your scrubs until much later. Happens very very frequently. Also, not all virulent organisms you can see, or perhaps you haven't had micro yet.

Also, they tell us to never take our scrubs home to our family to stop the spread of infection.

Also, why do you think the nosocomial infection rate is soooo high in most hospitals?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not true. I saw many docs wearing scrubs and white coats while they were eating in the cafeteria 😳

Lunch break is different. If the cafeteria is in a hospital then customers wearing scrubs goes with the territory. Wearing scrubs to target equals ----:scared:
 
I find it disgusting when people where scrubs outside of the hospital/clinic. I've worked in a hospital for 9 years and seen firsthand the bodyfluids/sputum/feces that end up on scrubs. Next time you see someone in scrubs in public, just think C.Diff....lol.

Thanks for the image.
 
1df28bfb-bdfc-4878-9e33-354f5905a9cf.jpg
U mad? Yeah u bitter
 
I've had multiple people in scrubs in my physics, ochem, cell bio classes, etc.

We get it, you work in a hospital setting. We get it, you want to go into the healthcare field. We don't get why you couldn't spend 2 minutes getting into the scrubs before you go to work. I mean, I see these people in the library for hours at a time wearing scrubs. I try my best to keep to myself and not care about premeds, but LOLOL at them. I can't help but shake my head.
 
I've had multiple people in scrubs in my physics, ochem, cell bio classes, etc.

We get it, you work in a hospital setting. We get it, you want to go into the healthcare field. We don't get why you couldn't spend 2 minutes getting into the scrubs before you go to work. I mean, I see these people in the library for hours at a time wearing scrubs. I try my best to keep to myself and not care about premeds, but LOLOL at them. I can't help but shake my head.


i like how no one considered the fact that some scrubs are actually more comfortable than clothes and that it might be a valid reason why some people wear it before or after work or lab or whatever.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I find it disgusting when people where scrubs outside of the hospital/clinic. I've worked in a hospital for 9 years and seen firsthand the bodyfluids/sputum/feces that end up on scrubs. Next time you see someone in scrubs in public, just think C.Diff....lol.

Wait until your an intern working 80 hours a week coming home from the hospital. Are you going to go home, change, then go back out to grab something to eat or do your shopping or just stop on your way home?
 
Actually, many times you are leaning on the bed to evaluate a patient and you have no idea that you just soiled your scrubs until much later. Happens very very frequently. Also, not all virulent organisms you can see, or perhaps you haven't had micro yet.

Also, they tell us to never take our scrubs home to our family to stop the spread of infection.

Also, why do you think the nosocomial infection rate is soooo high in most hospitals?

infection resulting from exposure to contaminated hospital attire is an issue that's far from settled in the literature.
 
infection resulting from exposure to contaminated hospital attire is an issue that's far from settled in the literature.

Say whatever you want but when you have worked in the Icu and see the same bugs (ie mrsa, etc) spreading from room to room after several weeks, then you really start to wonder. Could there be other reasons for this....of course. Does it seem very likely that contaminated hospital workers might be the vehicle.....in my opinion, yes. I am not an infection control specialist but it just seems like common sense.
 
I'm at UCL right now, and all the biol/bioc/chem majors wear lab coats to their lab modules. Ironically, in my medical statistics course filled with 3rd year med students, they all dress in normal uni attire - khakis/slacks, nice shirt for men, semi-formal for women, etc.
 
Say whatever you want but when you have worked in the Icu and see the same bugs (ie mrsa, etc) spreading from room to room after several weeks, then you really start to wonder. Could there be other reasons for this....of course. Does it seem very likely that contaminated hospital workers might be the vehicle.....in my opinion, yes. I am not an infection control specialist but it just seems like common sense.

Obviously health care providers transfer bugs, but it is much more due to hands and maybe sleeves. Frankly, though, people are overemphasizing scrub bottoms transferring disease. Bumping the blanket of two patients is not nearly as likely to cause probs as touching to face of two patients. In settings with known pathogens that are highly dangerous, health care providers cover themselves with disposable gowns. If anything, people wearing scrubs are far less dangerous than the suit wearing docs that are undetectable riding home on the subway. At least with scrubs they tend to get washed daily. I certainly don't wash my white coat, buttons downs, or shoes daily. Further, we try to avoid contacts with icky things. The only thing splattered on my scrubs has been coffee and ink.
 
Last edited:
Yeah scrubs aren't that big of a deal. I am on the bus now on my way to the hospital (about 40 min away)and there is a med student on the bus wearing her white coat. Now THAT looks ******ed. It's like, Coooool little Asian girl, we see you are in med school. Suprise surprise.
 
Yeah scrubs aren't that big of a deal. I am on the bus now on my way to the hospital (about 40 min away)and there is a med student on the bus wearing her white coat. Now THAT looks ******ed. It's like, Coooool little Asian girl, we see you are in med school. Suprise surprise.

this is not as toolish as showing up at a gym in scrubs and a whitecoat from biology lab....as a PRE-MED

She may have actual reasons for wearing it, possible reasons: 3rd year, going to the hospital or clinical foundation course of some sort at her school where she needs to dress up.
 
I really don't see the big deal in people wearing what they want to where. For example, I see people all the time with nice suits but sneakers, or they come to the gym with suits on. Some people really don't have time to change into clothes, or just to tired to do so. Also, pre-med's are mostly douches.
 
well i wear scrubs all the time...at home, in lieu of pajamas! and they are clean, not ones that I wore while in the anatomy lab...

That would be one way to guarantee you're sleeping alone. 😉 unless you're getting friendly with your lab partner I suppose...
 
I'm a nurse, and some days I do wear scrubs to class because I have work right afterward and it's too much of a hassle to change.

One thing I don't do though is strut around after work in my scrubs going out to eat, to the mall etc because I don't think the public would appreciate the MRSA, C.Diff, VRE that is colonizing on my clothe.
 
My 4 year old daughter has scrubs for pajamas....they are cute with little puppies and I did not buy them! I also have scrub pants for pajamas...

they are comfortable! My mom started me on them years ago, it is not my fault.😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i got a few extra pairs of scrubs just because they're so damn comfortable, i sometimes wear just the scrub pants, t-shirt, and sneakers to class, then throw on a scrub top for work. its a glorious feeling. i don't work in a totally 'you need to always be sterile' environment. yes its a pharmacy, but i spend all my time at a computer screen.

but after seeing my co workers and what they do at their desks, i would rather show up in a military grade nbc suit.