Pre-med experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Cait

Awesome Registered User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all!
I am a senior in high school who will be entering college next fall. I will be a pre-med student, and I was wondering if any of you had any insight or experiences you would be willing to share with me, to help me gain a better understanding of what it will be like for me. I might also mention that I have a little more experience in the medical field than the majority of high school seniors who plan to be pre-med. I am in a special program where I get to observe some really awesome things in a hospital setting, as well as in primary care offices and others. So far, I have seen everything that happens in the lab at the hospital, I have observed case management, I have shadowed an internist, and I have observed three colonoscopies. Next week I get to observe some surgeries. So I pretty much would just like to know what it felt like to be a pre-med student for four years, as many of you are just about done with with pre-med process. Also, any suggestions you have for my undergrad would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The best advice that I had, but still did not listen to much.

1. GO TO CLASS. Once you get in, you will see how easy/convenient it is to not go to an early lecture.

Other things that you should keep in mind.
2. Study hard, and do not cram. You will need to know the information for the MCAT anwyay. Make it easy on yourself by having the info down before you have to study for the MCAT.
3. Get a part time research job if you can.
4. Kiss up to science teachers by asking questions during office hours. You will need letters from them in the future.
5. Have fun when you have time to, dont stress too much or you will be miserable.
6. Take an easy courseload when taking Organic chemistry.
7. Dont over-extend yourself to the point that your grades will suffer(including double majoring, joining clubs, overloading courses because you dont want to take summer school)
8. Make friends with upperclassmen that dont sell their books back

Don't forget to have fun ... college is such a great experience, enjoy every minute of it!

edit:
Well since you asked, here's my list-
1. Play hookie at least once
2. Take a test drunk one time ... it was a fun experience :laugh:
3. Enjoy your vacations! Esp. Spring Break
4. Kiss girls (or boys). You will need to get married in the future.
5. Have fun when you have time to, dont stress too much or you will be miserable. (don't need to change this one)
6. Take an easy courseload whenever possible.
7. Dont over-extend yourself to the point that your grades will suffer(including double majoring, joining clubs, overloading courses because you dont want to take summer school) ... agree here too
8. Make friends with upperclassmen so you can score free booze at the frat parties! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
BMW M3 said:
Don't forget to have fun ... college is such a great experience, enjoy every minute of it!

edit:
5. Have fun when you have time to, dont stress too much or you will be miserable. (don't need to change this one)
7. Dont over-extend yourself to the point that your grades will suffer(including double majoring, joining clubs, overloading courses because you dont want to take summer school) ... agree here too
8. Make friends with upperclassmen so you can score free booze at the frat parties! :love:

lol...I approve of all of the edits.

MarzH05 said:
lol...I approve of all of the edits.
:love: :love: :p

but that 23/100 for taking that quiz drunk was quite embarassing :smuggrin:

BMW M3 said:

edit:

Uh, I think you forgot to remind him/her to save money for med school by going to happy hour - most menu items 1/2 off! ;)

Dr.Cait said:
Hey, all!
I am a senior in high school who will be entering college next fall. I will be a pre-med student, and I was wondering if any of you had any insight or experiences you would be willing to share with me, to help me gain a better understanding of what it will be like for me. I might also mention that I have a little more experience in the medical field than the majority of high school seniors who plan to be pre-med. I am in a special program where I get to observe some really awesome things in a hospital setting, as well as in primary care offices and others. So far, I have seen everything that happens in the lab at the hospital, I have observed case management, I have shadowed an internist, and I have observed three colonoscopies. Next week I get to observe some surgeries. So I pretty much would just like to know what it felt like to be a pre-med student for four years, as many of you are just about done with with pre-med process. Also, any suggestions you have for my undergrad would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
check this
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=236735

additionally, youll have to ditch that icon eventually for something more original around here! jk, whatever floats your boat

Study hard first, then play hard second to reward yourself.
Work hard. Play hard. Remember that the goal here is happiness. Don't wait too long to reach your goal.

Take as many upper-level courses as you can, not just in the sciences. A transcript full of 3-4000 level classes looks great.

Take classes that you are interested in, ESPECIALLY OUTSIDE OF THE SCIENCES AND YOUR MAJOR! Its the last chance you get to find something you might enjoy as a hobby and learn something new before spend 8 years in medicine ;)

Work Hard, Play Hard. People work to play.

If you can't do everything in 4 years, don't sweat it.

Be involved and take time out to remember your goals. You and your personal emotional health comes first. If your body is saying "TIME OUT" re-evaluate.

Get involved early for EC's and find something you are passionate about. You don't need to do everything if you find one thing you want to commit your time to.

Don't forget to be well-rounded.

Start research early.

Research and always keep your eyes out for opportunities. Sometimes they just pop out at the oddest times.

If you want to do something, do it. Don't conform to what others say you have to do.

Yea, most premeds let being "premed' consume their entire life. Don't be one of those idiots. Granted, I may have taken that advice to the extreme, I still think it is true. College is the most fun you will ever have if you let it be what it is supposed to be. Get boozed up. Get laid. Sleep in. Please. Yes, do your work, but also do your play. You won't get a second chance. I know so many people who basically let it ruin their lives when they didn't need to do so.