Pre-med majoring in art

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevenboi27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pre-med, hoping to become a reconstructive plastic surgeon. The reason why I am interested in this career is because I love both art and science. I believe that one profession that will allow me to unite both of these passions is reconstructive plastic surgery. I have an eye for detail and love being creative/artistic. In addition, I also like studying Biology. Right now, I am on track to complete my pre-med requirements at UC Berkeley. However, I have yet to decide on a major. I am considering art among a list of other more pre-med related majors (ie. Bio or Public Health). Would majoring in art be a risky decision? The job prospect will not look great if I end up not getting into medical school. In addition, will medical school take me seriously if I am an applicant with an art degree? All suggestions and advice are welcomed. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yep, you can major in anything and get into med school just fine. I'd venture to say that many adcom members see unusual majors as a relief from all the Bio/Bio-related/Science majors out there. It helps you to stand out more. Just make sure you also take more than the required share of science courses and do well in everything, and you'll be fine.

d3044.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
An art major wouldn't set you back as long as you take all the pre-reqs and do well on the MCAT (which you will if you do well in the pre-reqs). If you are interested in biology as well you should consider a minor or an additional major in it. At most schools just the medical school pre reqs get you 2/3 of the way to a science minor.

A double major isn't as difficult as people make it out to be. I double majored in totally unrelated fields and worked 20 hrs/week. It makes it very easy to get those letters of recommendation when you've got contacts on both sides of campus.

I do know however that many art degrees can be very time/labor intensive. I had art major friends that were in the ceramics shop for hours every evening finishing their project or painting their work into the wee hours of the night. Probably varies by school but you should look into the time requirement outside of class. Keep this in mind for when you are thinking about a job, volunteering, clubs and such.

Hey, I'm actually in almost the same boat. I'm a biology major, but I take a lot of art classes in my free time. I've always wanted to do plastic surgery because I love medicine and am very good at seeing details and things that just look "off."
Good luck to us both! :)

I used to be a premed art major before I transferred schools and I agree that it can be pretty time-consuming but it was a great way to relieve stress from my other classes. The only potential issue you might have is grading and your GPA - a lot of my art teachers graded very subjectively. I got a C- in sculpture even though I completed all of my assignments on time and got great critiques, and when I e-mailed my teacher to explain, she wouldn't really go into any detail. So hopefully you don't have any bull**** teachers like I had. ;)

You'll have zillions of hours of studio time, but it could be really rewarding!:thumbup:

Plastic surgery isn't the only application for your artistry, though!

Plastic surgery isn't the only application for your artistry, though!

What else were you thinking, Myuu? Surgery in general? I'm interested in how artistic skills could be used :)

What else were you thinking, Myuu? Surgery in general? I'm interested in how artistic skills could be used :)

It depends on what interests you, really. Plastic surgery addresses concerns of external appearance, certainly. But not all art concerns the external. Ortho addresses concerns of the beauty of movement and its restoration, for example.

...And if you're interested in just making scars pretty, there are plenty of options for that, but I doubt that'd be artistically satisfying.:laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Ortho addresses concerns of the beauty of movement and its restoration, for example.

...And if you're interested in just making scars pretty, there are plenty of options for that, but I doubt that'd be artistically satisfying.:laugh:

I'd be more interested in reconstructive plastic surgery, treating patients whose appearances have been altered by traumatic events, birth defects, etc. Not that I would be against doing plastic surgery for "normal" people.

I never thought of ortho in that way, but it really is beautiful once you think about it.

Attention to detail is what will benefit you most in respect to surgery imo. You can get that from a lot of majors. Majoring in art would be pretty fun though, I would reccomend doing it if you want.

Do it... The art major at Berkeley is sooooo relaxed and awesome. :thumbup::thumbup:
(I'm doing it too.)

I took an art class for the A but ended up getting an AB. Not going down that road again :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a pre-med, hoping to become a reconstructive plastic surgeon. The reason why I am interested in this career is because I love both art and science. I believe that one profession that will allow me to unite both of these passions is reconstructive plastic surgery. I have an eye for detail and love being creative/artistic. In addition, I also like studying Biology. Right now, I am on track to complete my pre-med requirements at UC Berkeley. However, I have yet to decide on a major. I am considering art among a list of other more pre-med related majors (ie. Bio or Public Health). Would majoring in art be a risky decision? The job prospect will not look great if I end up not getting into medical school. In addition, will medical school take me seriously if I am an applicant with an art degree? All suggestions and advice are welcomed. Thanks!

Just a warning... if you continue to say that, as a premed, you want to be a reconstructive plastic surgeon you may get flamed/laughed at/ or called a troll. May not be true, but just saying.

I majored in Art and was accepted no problem. I think they found that interesting, and art was what we discussed on interviews. What matters, as others have pointed out, is your GPA and MCAT scores. If those are fine you'll have no problem getting into med school. If art is your passion and talent, then there's no reason not to major in it. You will not have time to explore and develop as an artist once med school starts. Best of luck!

The only thing keeping me back is the job prospect in case I don't get into medical school. What can I do with an art degree :(?

Commercial art = $$
Art therapy can be related to medicine/healthcare
Education and fine arts if you want to work for peanuts
Museums, etc.

Commercial art = $$

Those jobs are HARD to come by in a good economy. If one gets through that tight crack, many years spent earning peanuts to build skill/reputation/contacts.

source: in-law's relative is a commercial illustrator.

I guess it depends on what your focus is. I'd imagine that technology-based forms of artwork aren't having as much trouble finding work, such as graphic design.

source: being a graphic designer.

you can major in art :confused:. i didn't know you could be taught creativity

you can major in art :confused:. i didn't know you could be taught creativity

You are not taught creativity. You are taught the skills to render those creative thoughts manifest in a medium.

I just graduated with a minor in Art (major: Biology)...my school didn't offer it as a major, but if they had I probably would've then taken the required pre-med courses and others I thought interesting! You should go for it! I am proud to have this extra talent that not many science-oriented people have haha

go for it :thumbup:

Like people have said, it makes you stand out a bit and you should do what you enjoy.

I just finished up a ceramics course for a gen end and it was fantastic- I'm actually considering minoring in fine art if I can work another 5 classes into my next 2 years, if not I'm definitely at least taking a photography class or two!

Careful, if your GPA and MCAT end up being below par, I hope you have a plan B that involves art.

Also find out what the grading criteria are for the art classes in the major. I know at my undergrad, they graded very harshly and by default would only give one A per class in many of the courses in that department. Grading like that could destroy your GPA.

Why anyone would spend four years and a ridiculous amount of money to study art is beyond me.

Excuse me sir, but i would imagine they would do such a thing to develop, hone, an master their skills in what can be considered to be the most aesthetic of the fine arts.

LOL JK. I wouldn't do it but then again I'm an English major and I'm spending 4 years studying a language I've been speaking since infancy. My guess is he or she likes art.

Major in whatever you like.

Why anyone would spend four years and a ridiculous amount of money to study art is beyond me.

Of course, you could conceivably say that about a large chunk of the degrees offered at any given university... but to each their own.

1) Art will not disadvantage you in anyway in the med school applications game. If anything, it will make you stand out and be more memorable in a sea of bio majors -- in a good way. Just make sure you keep that GPA UP and take a number of higher-level bio courses on the side to prove you can handle it.

2) The job market isn't great for anyone with only a B.A. degree under their belt right now. The difference upon graduation between choosing to major in bio vs art if you don't immediately get into med school is the difference between working in a fast food shop or working as a lab rat or secretary at a hospital or research firm. Meh.

My take: go with what you like best and will get the best grades in. Usually doing what you love will give you the best grades, anyway :)

I majored in Fine Arts as an undergrad and I wouldn't trade my experience in for the world!!! I did a post-baccalaureate program to complete my pre-req sciences.

Oh...and let me tell you the AWESOME advantages that an education in art gives you that others won't get and how it relates to medicine:

1) Life drawing classes. You learn to recognize and anticipate every indentation, curve, bulge, and plane of the human body and how it overlies the deeper anatomical elements. I can spot a slightly fractured clavicle a mile away...it just doesn't look right. And, you get comfortable staring at naked people while taking the situation seriously...and learning to fully appreciate the beauty of the human body!

2) Visual-spatial skills. You want to be a surgeon? With an art background, you'll be so well trained in observation and 3D form that you're primed to visualize entire surgeries in your head with your eyes closed and your hands moving in all the right ways.

3) Colors and contrast. Radiology actually becomes FUN. You'll be able to distinguish subtle contrasts on imaging studies that others take years of practice to identify!!!! When I worked in a medical office, the doctors actually hid the radiology reports from me and put the MRIs up to see what I could find. Soooo fun.

4) Using both sides of your brain. As your right side is stimulated and fed by art, your left side can relax and recharge. When you spend time studying science, etc, your right side can rest and recharge. Personally, I need both in my life to keep that great balance!

5) Unique applicant. With an art degree, you're not a cookie-cutter bio major.

6) If not now, when?
Once med school starts, it's difficult to pursue any other interest with significant time and passion. Now's your chance!

7) Think like the ancient anatomists and artists. Science and art mix perfectly! Ever heard of Leonardo do Vinci? hee hee Read up on the old dudes who first made visual recordings of the human body. A-ma-zing.

8) Opportunities for sketching. I doodle on exam table paper all the time. I like to draw diagrams for patients - they can rip off the table paper and take it home! hahahaha...I was also in the OR once when the surgeon I worked with told me to grab a pen and paper: he had exposed a never-before-illustrated ligament in the hip and wanted me to get first crack at it! (My skills aren't THAT great, but I do have the sketch on my bulletin board.)

9) Application to other creative talents.
As an art major, I also studied medical facility design and landscape architecture. I was really interested (and still am) in how a patient's indoor and outdoor environment can affect their mood and recovery. For example, the ideal color paint you choose for the office walls is going to be different in the OR recovery room, than the pediatric wing, than in the hospital lobby. AND...fish tanks in waiting rooms can cause patients BP to lower. That's a great thing if you're a cardiologist!

In the end...med schools will take you seriously (no matter your major) IF you take med school seriously. Cool? Oh...and lots of medical journals/publications are always looking for med students and doctors to submit poems, stories, sketches, paintings, etc. :thumbup:

Be different. It's kinda rad!

I majored in Art and was accepted no problem. I think they found that interesting, and art was what we discussed on interviews. What matters, as others have pointed out, is your GPA and MCAT scores. If those are fine you'll have no problem getting into med school. If art is your passion and talent, then there's no reason not to major in it. You will not have time to explore and develop as an artist once med school starts. Best of luck!
regarding your application, did med schools look for research/internships/volunteer work related to the sciences or to your field of study? i understand that for science related majors you need to show engagement through research/internships/volunteer work. does that apply for nonscience majors? also, for non science majors what do they look for in your app besides gpa and mcat scores?

I was an art major as well. Med school interviewers found it really interesting and asked me to show them some of my work. I can understand your worry about job prospects if you don't get into medical school. I was a double-degree student, so I had the art degree but also a self-designed architectural studies degree (the "individual studies" major basically allowed you to design your own major). Which probably wasn't of much more help... However, my original plan since Freshman year had always been to get an M.Arch, which is a 3-year degree for anyone without a B.A in architecture or a B.Arch.

Having just a bachelor's degree these days sometimes doesn't get you much a job (engineering is a notable exception). If I were in your shoes (I was some time ago!), I'd consider majoring in something that will somehow lead to your alternate career choice if medicine falls through. Whether that means it preps you for graduate-level work in the field vs directly entering the workforce is really dependent on what career you would want.

Basically, think about what job you'd want if you don't become a physician. Then chose a major that will help you get there. Then take the pre-reqs for medical school. Add art major.

Majoring in art was a blast.

You'd also be surprised at how many jobs are there are just dependent on who you know and the fact you have just a general college education.