Pre-Med Math Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

culturenmusic03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all! So I’m an incoming freshman trying to plan out what classes I need/don’t need to take and figuring out scheduling as a *hopeful* pre-med. Just had a quick question about math.

So I got a 5 on Calc BC. Now, my school’s (undergrad) pre-health page says I can just use my AP credit for calc and just take a semester of stats and that should be fine. However, I noticed that many schools do in fact require/recommend at least a semester of Calc. If I were to use my AP credit for Calc, would it show up on my transcript saying that I’m done with Calc? Or should I take Calc 1 and then a semester of Stats? Kinda confused here and not sure what to do. Should I just “redeem” my AP credit for Calc and then take Stats or take both?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation. 5 on Calc B/C and took the AP credit. I took Stats since that is a prereq at many schools, and took Calc 2 as an off-major elective since calc came easily to me, it was a good option for just a random elective. Thats what i used for the premed apps

Reactions: 1 user
I took multivariable my freshman year, which was a big mistake. Just take the easy calc course and a stats class. Better safe than sorry when it comes to pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took multivariable my freshman year, which was a big mistake. Just take the easy calc course and a stats class. Better safe than sorry when it comes to pre-reqs.
Ooh wow that must've been difficult! Yeah actually I was debating taking any calc-- like I wasn't sure if my AP credit (probably just for Calc I) would fulfill the requirement that some schools have for math/calc. And then for math, I'd just take one stats class and that's it

Ooh wow that must've been difficult! Yeah actually I was debating taking any calc-- like I wasn't sure if my AP credit (probably just for Calc I) would fulfill the requirement that some schools have for math/calc. And then for math, I'd just take one stats class and that's it
Just take the easy calc course offered at your school cuz A. You wouldn’t have to worry about a handful of schools that are picky about it B. Easy A to boost your science GPA. Just my 2 cents.