Pre-med mentoring program - suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mubaby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm helping my school start a pre-med peer mentoring program where the mentors would be current med students. What kind of things would you want from such a program? What would you find helpful? What kind of questions would you ask?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is to create a pdf file that compiles all the necessary information, specific and unique to your institution (study skills, pre-reqs, research, volunteering, time management, transition to medical school, major, advice, Q&A for common questions, etc). Contributing authors could be well-informed pre-meds, advisers, professors, and medical students.

Since medical students are busy, they don't want to spend time to answer similar questions from their students over and over again. Having a panel discussion will be helpful, but having a compiled package with all the information helps students ask more specific questions to mentors. This will help save the time for both students and their mentors.

Other activities could include: shadowing, visiting Anatomy lab when unused, intro to learning how to suture, opportunities to research or do small projects with medical students, etc.

intro to learning how to suture . . .
or glue, or staple wounds. When the glue for humans became available, my clinic held an in-service for all of us where we could try out the new (officially approved for humans) technique on raw chicken. I expect that some premeds might like trying their hands at something more life-like-than-a-rubber-model suturing, as well.