Pre Med Politics: Vote

Started by UAAWolf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What is your political view?

  • Conservative

    Votes: 61 28.0%
  • Liberal

    Votes: 87 39.9%
  • Moderate

    Votes: 52 23.9%
  • Apathetic

    Votes: 18 8.3%

  • Total voters
    218

UAAWolf

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Conservative, Liberal, or Moderate, or Apathetic. Pick which one applies to you the most.

No need for fighting...just trying to get an idea.
 
im independent.. so i think i'll go with moderate =D

i bet this has relevance to the health care debate =D
 
Last edited:
im independent.. so i think i'll go with moderate =D

judging from your last comment with the if your socialist "you should get the **** of the country". this has some relevance to the health care debate 😛

Well the health care debate is not as simple as if one is conservative, liberal, etc.

Also- that is not a direct quote from me....plus you used it out of context. Either way my point was that if OP hates the US system so much and is very fond of socialism, why not simply get out and move to a socialist nation? You could get away from us evil cold hearted Americans that way 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
150pxvoterapathyparty.jpg
 
Well the health care debate is not as simple as if one is conservative, liberal, etc.

Also- that is not a direct quote from me....plus you used it out of context. Either way my point was that if OP hates the US system so much and is very fond of socialism, why not simply get out and move to a socialist nation? You could get away from us evil cold hearted Americans that way 😉

yah sorry i used the indirect quote out of context.. i should have probably added something to make it look less bad..
but yah..
im not a fan of softmed , he's really hard headily douche-bagish a a lot of the time.
but yes.. either way.. i think that both the socialist and captalist system of medicine fail.. there needs to be a mix of the best of both systems.. and boom you got a decent working system.
 
I am "moderate" in the sense that my views range from far right to far left--and everything in between--depending on the issue. "Independent", to be more accurate.
 
The posts in this thread make me think of Stephen Colbert... "Pick a side, we're at war!"

😀 Meh, I consider myself a Progressive.
 
More conservative than liberal, more libtertarian than conservative, more skeptical and cynical than anything else.
 
Either way my point was that if OP hates the US system so much and is very fond of socialism, why not simply get out and move to a socialist nation? You could get away from us evil cold hearted Americans that way

There is no American system and non-American system here - the American people decide what is American and not American, not you. If the American people support the "socialist system", it becomes American.

And this is no way to debate, too. Any time you disagree with anything the far right wing says, they say something like "GO LIVE IN CHINA!!!" - It's really a stupid thing to say. Debate should be encouraged - all viewpoints should be considered. That's not very American either (remember the first amendment?).

There's many people who support the healthcare bill today, and I'm sure they're not very appreciative of the fact that you deem them un-American. I'm sure many of them or their sons/daughters have fought for this country too.
 
Well the health care debate is not as simple as if one is conservative, liberal, etc.

Also- that is not a direct quote from me....plus you used it out of context. Either way my point was that if OP hates the US system so much and is very fond of socialism, why not simply get out and move to a socialist nation? You could get away from us evil cold hearted Americans that way 😉

We actually are a socialist nation. It's not like the 19th century any more. We have Medicare, unemployment insurance, social security, progressive income tax, and all sorts of subsidies.

Granted, Norway is more (cradle-to-grave) socialist than us. So we're both socialist. Same goes for France, Germany, etc.
 
There is no American system and non-American system here - the American people decide what is American and not American, not you. If the American people support the "socialist system", it becomes American.

And this is no way to debate, too. Any time you disagree with anything the far right wing says, they say something like "GO LIVE IN CHINA!!!" - It's really a stupid thing to say. Debate should be encouraged - all viewpoints should be considered. That's not very American either (remember the first amendment?).

There's many people who support the healthcare bill today, and I'm sure they're not very appreciative of the fact that you deem them un-American. I'm sure many of them or their sons/daughters have fought for this country too.

Hey man I agree totally with the bolded statement... just explain to me why the left only feels this way when it's something THEY agree with? And you bring up the far right wing...this is pointless. Obviously the far left and right are extreme and do not represent how most feel.

You failed to see my point. There are a bunch of different places to live in this world...yet we're moving towards a GLOBAL society rather than individual countries. There's an increasing movement to make the entire world the same...which makes no sense.

I know quite a few people who simply moved somewhere else instead of bitching and complaining that America sucks all the time. They were smart enough to realize that it's more practical for one to move rather than to try and re-design an entire nation...ESPECIALLY when the vast majority feels another way than you. This is like me moving to china and constantly bitching how much I hate China's government..

You also mention the only thing American is what the American people vote for etc. Very true in the way you explain it- and vast majority favor capitalism over socialism. However when I say American I am referring to the constitution...which some people seem to have forgotten entirely these days.

But I do firmly agree that we need to focus on all viewpoints and cut down on corruption in the gov't
 
We actually are a socialist nation. It's not like the 19th century any more. We have Medicare, unemployment insurance, social security, progressive income tax, and all sorts of subsidies.

Granted, Norway is more (cradle-to-grave) socialist than us. So we're both socialist. Same goes for France, Germany, etc.

You're absolutely correct man- this is a form of socialism. We have been steadily becoming more and more socialist over the years.

I just wonder where we will draw the line...it's a fair question to ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are us libertarians to do?🙁

I don't get Libertarians- I mean I like the fact they're fiscally conservative and socially more liberal. But HOW are both Glenn Beck and Bill Maher both Libertarians!!?? There is no way they can be in the same party!! LOL
 
You're absolutely correct man- this is a form of socialism. We have been steadily becoming more and more socialist over the years.

I just wonder where we will draw the line...it's a fair question to ask.

OK, I just wanted to make sure we've got our definitions right. 🙂
 
I don't get Libertarians- I mean I like the fact they're fiscally conservative and socially more liberal. But HOW are both Glenn Beck and Bill Maher both Libertarians!!?? There is no way they can be in the same party!! LOL

I've noticed that a lot of people like to call themselves libertarians because it makes them sound all hard. But not all of those people are actually libertarians. It's like how people can be Democrats without being liberal, or Republicans without being conservative. It just depends on how you want to label yourself. But there's no way Glenn Beck is a true libertarian. 😕
 
I've noticed that a lot of people like to call themselves libertarians because it makes them sound all hard. But not all of those people are actually libertarians. It's like how people can be Democrats without being liberal, or Republicans without being conservative. It just depends on how you want to label yourself. But there's no way Glenn Beck is a true libertarian. 😕

He seems more like a Constitutionalist? I'm not sure. I don't get what a true libertarian believes...one tried to explain it to me but I felt as if he was trying to trick me so I'd register on the spot lol
 
Hey man I agree totally with the bolded statement... just explain to me why the left only feels this way when it's something THEY agree with?

You failed to see my point. There are a bunch of different places to live in this world...yet we're moving towards a GLOBAL society rather than individual countries. There's an increasing movement to make the entire world the same...which makes no sense.

I know quite a few people who simply moved somewhere else instead of bitching and complaining that America sucks all the time. They were smart enough to realize that it's more practical for one to move rather than to try and re-design an entire nation...ESPECIALLY when the vast majority feels another way than you. This is like me moving to china and constantly bitching how much I hate China's government..

You also mention the only thing American is what the American people vote for etc. Very true in the way you explain it- and vast majority favor capitalism over socialism. However when I say American I am referring to the constitution...which some people seem to have forgotten entirely these days.

1. That's the far left you're speaking of. So yeah, just like we shouldn't bother with the far right, you shouldn't listen to the far left.

2. Your point of about moving to a global society doesn't really make sense. Yes, I know all about globalization - but are you saying that America is trying to become more like other countries? And if it really is, is there really something wrong with that? It's not like we're going to turn into China - and it's also nice not to have the entire world hate us because we're such bullies.

3. Move because you disagree with something? Now that's just absurd. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to move away from all my friends/family to another country just because I don't like the healthcare bill. Even if I disagree with something, almost all Americans will agree that this country is great enough that nobody would want to move just because they disagreed with one thing. Case in point: millions of Evangelical Christians here hate the fact that abortions happen legally in this country - they're not going to move, are they? And Roe v. Wade isn't going to be overturned anytime soon. (At least I don't think it is)

4. Yeah, and your argument about how "the whole world is becoming the same" and why it makes "no sense" doesn't really make sense to me. Elucidate please. Oh, and you say that this is a movement - like, a real movement? Movement with leaders and everything? Or movement as a concept?
 
Socially liberal I guess....I want to be able to have all the kinky, freaky sex I want. With men and women. Also, don't believe in God. So I guess the Christian Right is out.

Against AA. For some government-induced economic projects like rail, dams, etc. Against pork. Usually pro-tax cut.

Liberal Republican? I guess....
 
Socially liberal I guess....I want to be able to have all the kinky, freaky sex I want. With men and women. Also, don't believe in God. So I guess the Christian Right is out.

Against AA. For some government-induced economic projects like rail, dams, etc. Against pork. Usually pro-tax cut.

Liberal Republican? I guess....

I shouldn't say this... but oh well:

Thank goodness for those Bush tax cuts. Boy, without those we wouldn't be where we are today! Whew!

Rail is sooooo 1800s. What developed countries and major U.S. cities are investing heavily in rail nowadays? Fools...

:laugh:
 
I shouldn't say this... but oh well:

Thank goodness for those Bush tax cuts. Boy, without those we wouldn't be where we are today! Whew!

Rail is sooooo 1800s. What developed countries and major U.S. cities are investing heavily in rail nowadays? Fools...

:laugh:

Guess I missed the joke. Oh well. I'm slow, it has to drip drop in my brain.
 
1. That's the far left you're speaking of. So yeah, just like we shouldn't bother with the far right, you shouldn't listen to the far left.

2. Your point of about moving to a global society doesn't really make sense. Yes, I know all about globalization - but are you saying that America is trying to become more like other countries? And if it really is, is there really something wrong with that? It's not like we're going to turn into China - and it's also nice not to have the entire world hate us because we're such bullies.

3. Move because you disagree with something? Now that's just absurd. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to move away from all my friends/family to another country just because I don't like the healthcare bill. Even if I disagree with something, almost all Americans will agree that this country is great enough that nobody would want to move just because they disagreed with one thing. Case in point: millions of Evangelical Christians here hate the fact that abortions happen legally in this country - they're not going to move, are they? And Roe v. Wade isn't going to be overturned anytime soon. (At least I don't think it is)

4. Yeah, and your argument about how "the whole world is becoming the same" and why it makes "no sense" doesn't really make sense to me. Elucidate please. Oh, and you say that this is a movement - like, a real movement? Movement with leaders and everything? Or movement as a concept?

1) No we won't turn into China...China will own us.

2) The reason the entire world hates is us is because they are jealous of success. Once we take a hit and some other country becomes more powerful they will love us. But you will probably say something stupid like the rest of the world hates us because we burn too much fossil fuel. Yeah..thats it.

3) Like most liberals- your logic is awful. You compare not liking the healthcare bill to the fact that Christians dislike the fact legal abortions happen in their country. The Healthcare bill impacts EVERYONE...abortions DO NOT. No one is forcing Christians to get abortions...

4) People DO move away from their families all the time for similar reasons. People leave home and their families for overseas jobs and opportunities all the time dude...they'd have no problem leaving for their beliefs. Why don't you talk to someone from Korea who is FORCED to serve in the military...my friend didn't agree with that and he immigrated to America. He didn't bitch and try to change the Korean law...he got the hell out of there and came to the greatest country in the world. At least he told me it's the greatest country in the world...not sure if ppl here agree but just his opinion 😛


5) I wouldn't be shocked to see some form of global government in the coming future...here is an example: Europe. Countries used to be much more independant prior to the Euro...Larger countries are slowly overpowering the poorer ones that are being forced to change their ways. I had a nice long conversation with my Taxi driver from Poland about this...Oh by the way he came to America because he disagreed with the direction of his country. 🙄
 
Glenn beck seems more like a blithering, *****ic idiot who has no idea what he's talking about half the time. But hey, that's just my opinion.

So your heroes are who?

1) Keith Olberman
2) Chris Mathews
3) Rachel Maddow
4) Bill Maher

Any of those guys? Serious question btw
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyway I'm done posting in this thread. Let's end the ranting and just vote. We can make new threads to rant in though 😛
 
I reject the one dimensional left_right scale and embrace the two dimensional Nolan scale.

275px-Nolan-chart.svg.png




That said, I'm a pretty devout libertarian.
 
Conservative Republican- that's where all the hot girls are at 👍 i.e. running mates from Alaska 😀
 
1)

2) The reason the entire world hates is us is because they are jealous of success.

3) Like most liberals- your logic is awful.

4) Why don't you talk to someone from Korea who is FORCED to serve in the military...my friend didn't agree with that and he immigrated to America. He didn't bitch and try to change the Korean law...he got the hell out of ther

Okay, wow. You're clearly not what I thought you were. The entire world does not hate us because they are jealous of success (what a stupid notion) - the world hates us because we have an awful interventionist foreign policy - we've been meddling in parts of the world that we shouldn't have been. When you look at the theocracy in Iran, remember that we were the ones who supported the Shah's torturous regime and it was the CIA that led the coup that overthrew Mosadegh. When you look at the Taleban in Afghanistan, remember that we were the ones who funded the Taleban to fight against the Russians etc. etc. etc. Just pick a book on the Middle East and you'll realize that we've done some pretty stupid things in the past and the not-so-past (Iraq). I think Ron Paul is absolutely right about this - McCain is not, Obama is not.

Yes, America is a great country. The greatest country on Earth, no doubt (even a self-described anarchist like Chomsky admits this). But our foreign policy is not great - and has never been great. Let's not pretend that it is.

Your stupid statement that "most liberals' logic is awful" show that you're more about hatred than about dialog. Clearly, if most liberals logic was awful, then college campuses across the US would not be filled with liberal professors. You know, all those Ph.D's with their awful logic. I don't claim that Conservatives have awful logic - but I do disagree many times with their logic.

Are you comparing North Korea to the United States? Seriously? Seriously?!?! WE actually have democracy in this country - so yes, when we don't like something, WE CAN change the law. I doubt North Koreans can - without the fear of being killed. This whole idea of "leave this country if you disagree with some of its laws" is ludicrous.
 
Are you comparing North Korea to the United States? Seriously? Seriously?!?! WE actually have democracy in this country - so yes, when we don't like something, WE CAN change the law. I doubt North Koreans can - without the fear of being killed. This whole idea of "leave this country if you disagree with some of its laws" is ludicrous.

South Korea has compulsory military service as well....so he probably didn't mean N. Korea.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Talking about politics is one of the greatest wastes of time I've ever encountered. All the talk in the world will almost never change someone else's political opinions.
 
So your heroes are who?

1) Keith Olberman
2) Chris Mathews
3) Rachel Maddow
4) Bill Maher

Any of those guys? Serious question btw

Keith Olbermann - No, definitely not. He has covered some interesting stories, but he's a bit too biased for me. (Yes, even for a liberal like me)

Chris Matthews - Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Definitely not.

Rachel Maddow - Not a hero, but yes I do admire her. And it's kinda sad that the far right-wing attacks her more because she's gay than what she actually covers. I really do like her.

Bill Maher - I disagree with many of his political views (I don't think he has a good enough understanding of politics, esp foreign politics), but yes I do have some sympathy for him primarily because his views on religion are very similar to mine. And he's one of the most vocal opponents of organized religion, and he invites many many very interesting people (Liberals and Conservatives) on his shows e.g. Gore Vidal, Christopher Hitchens, Salman Rushdie, Ron Paul.

So yeah, none of the above are my "heroes".

I do like Christopher Hitchens though. And I think Christopher Hitchens piece on Mother Teresa should be a must-read. Here's a link:

http://www.slate.com/id/2090083/
 
Last edited:
I'm liberal with drugs and females but conservative on crime.... 😀😀😀😀

Seriously though, I'm progressive.. I believe in social responsibility, social justice, caring for the least amongst us, less war, less greed, less self-centeredness/narcissism..