Pre-Med Programs NYU & Rutgers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josepo8

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI, I'm a junior in high school and researching colleges. I'm very interested in the medical field. I'm currently looking at NYU and Rutgers-NB as possible college choices. I know NYU has a competitive pre-med-science program, but I am unsure about Rutgers' program. How is Rutgers' pre-med program with acceptances to Med School? Does it have a good program or no? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Members don't see this ad.

Joe,

I graduated Rutgers College last May and am currently doing research and applying to med school. First off, Rutgers does not have a 'pre-med' major, but they do have a Health Professions Office that will guide you through prereq's, MCAT's, etc. Most premeds major in Biology, but almost all majors are represented. Furthermore, there seems to be no correlation between major and acceptance rate to med school. I would classify most medical school prereq classes as very competitive; the exams are difficult and are scaled up to give a standard curve where they give maybe 10% A's and a lot of C's.

The acceptance rate for students with a GPA of 3.5 or greater and MCAT's of above 30 is about 100%. You can also visit the Health professions office web site or call for statistics on admissions.

If you are a NJ resident, Rutgers is a bargain compared to other private schools. I feel very prepared for med school and have been fortunate in the admissions process. Please email me if you have any questions.

keith

[email protected]