Pre-med Requirements and AP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samyjay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the premed reqs. I was filling out the secondary for the Medical College of Wisconsin and as i was filling out the physics section, they said all the course work had to be graded, and AP does not count. This in turn leaves me with only 5.4 units (i am on the quarter system), which sucks, because most schools allowed AP as a premed requirement. I took AP physics C in High School, and passed out of Mechanics, but now some schools dont allow it?! Has this happened to anyone else, and is there a way around it? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't it crummy how these schools are basically punishing students who used their ap credits to pass out of the science courses? Their requirments are posted clearly on their website, and it seems like they don't accept ap credits for physics. If you are really interested in attending this school, try calling their office or writing a letter explaining your situation and perhaps they will then consider your application. I've heard of other schools, like SLU, which also do not accept ap credit for the core science classes.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. Still haven't figured out what to do exactly. And it's not that we didn't take any physics in college - we just didn't take a full-year's worth. I think that taking higher level physics above what we placed out of should count for the requirement, and most schools agree with this, but there are just a few problem schools that won't accept it. Anybody know if they'll accept physical chemistry for part of the physics requirement? Not p-chem for bio majors - the real deal - quantum, stat mech, thermo?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just talked to the admissions guy at MCW and he said that all i would have to do is substitute a higher level physics course before August 1 of next year. This really sucks how some schools take AP and some dont. Do you guys know what other schools take NO AP credit for the pre-med requirements? Thanks

yeah... I know that hopkins does not take ap credit for the bio classes... but you're right.... I've also heard that there are schools that want you to have taken 6 credit hours of English... so if you place out through ap or a placement exam... you're screwed again...

Originally posted by guitarguy
I've heard of other schools, like SLU, which also do not accept ap credit for the core science classes.

Hey GuitarGuy,
I am not sure you're right about SLU. I passed out of Gen Chem with AP's and SLU still gave me an interview. I think there has to be something that can be done to get around this rule. Especially bc there are tons of people like myself who just graduated and cannot take core bio classes anymore.

Originally posted by samyjay
Do you guys know what other schools take NO AP credit for the pre-med requirements? Thanks

UCLA doesn't...but i know that schools have been known to take students regardless of whether or not their requirements have been met. granted, usually they ask you to substitute with a higher level class, or, if you used AP physics credit (for example) you need to compensate by scoring high on the PS section of the mcat. this is so they know you're not 1) lazy and 2) incompetent in that subject.

I passed out of 1 class of gen chem and 1 of English, and out of 12 interviews and 5 acceptances (one of which was SLU), no one ever said a word about it to me. Many schools will accept a writing intensive non-english course to fulfill the English requirement.

U of Miami wants grades for all pre reqs.....i ended up taking chem II as a junior to fill this requirement.............i TA for this class...talk about akward having to be a student in it..

nero.

UCLA and UCD do not take AP credit either. As a result, I am taking the class I received AP credit for (calculus) at a JC. I have called and there seems to be no way to get around it.

It blows how they pretty much punish you for being an over-achiever at a young age. I swear...what's the point of the whole system then, if they fail to recognize the credits earned??:mad: