Pre-med requirements in Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorC++

chnjngthwrld1prsn@atyme
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I started a new thread instead of writing in the US vs. Caribbean.

Some states have pre-med requirements - Which states are they? How exactly do they gather this information? Once you enter medical school and graduate, nobody will be asking to see if you actually completed your pre-requisites. They will only see that you went to a medical school which accepted you (and will assume you did already finish your pre-med requirements).

I don't think this is a flaw with the student, I think the medical schools who let these people in are to blame. I'm not exactly sure how it works, maybe it's money... maybe it's giving people a chance to become a doctor??

BTW, I know that this happens at one school. I do not know of any other school that accepts students lacking pre-med. This school is probably the exception.

Members don't see this ad.

The logic in North America follows that if you cannot successfully complete your pre-requisites in something as colloquial as a community college then you will not be prepared for the academic stress of medical school.

You can find out about state requirements by going to each stat's respective licensing website and doing some legwork.

http://www.valuemd.com/medicalboards.php

For example just off the web site I listed in Mass and NH, you need:

USMLE 1, 2, 3

and

"Education requirements: 2 or more years of pre-medical education in a US college and 4 years of medical education"

McGillGrad said:
"Education requirements: 2 or more years of pre-medical education in a US college and 4 years of medical education"

Yes, but not all states have this in place. Some states require that you attend a medical school that required "pre-med". But they do not ask to see your pre-med transcripts. So if a foreign school is taking money under the table and letting these students in, the state boards are never going to know because they graduated from a school that supposedely checked their pre-med.

I think the state boards need to enforce stricter regulations.