Pre-med requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I'm currently working on my schedule for next semester and I am curious about the math and psychology courses.

I am taking calc 1 now and plan to take statistics next semester, but the other pre-med students I know are taking Calc 2 and tell me that taking a year of calculus and statistics fulfills the math requirement. Should I be concerned? I looked up med schools in Florida and out of state (Illinois, Massachusetts, Rhode Island)and it seems that statistics is fine for a prerequisite. Has anyone here taken calc and stats?

Also, I signed up to take psychology, do med schools care if it is online? My course is a blended class so it is a combination of online coursework/exams and lecture.

Members don't see this ad.

I took both calc and stats and I can say that calc has done nothing to hurt or help my application

Few, if any, schools require a full year of calc. And why I'd personally recommend it because calculus is fun especially when you get into MVC....it's really not worth taking unless you are into it or it's required for your major.
If you do get into a med school that requires a year of calc you can always take it over the summer.

Hey guys!

So I'm currently working on my schedule for next semester and I am curious about the math and psychology courses.

I am taking calc 1 now and plan to take statistics next semester, but the other pre-med students I know are taking Calc 2 and tell me that taking a year of calculus and statistics fulfills the math requirement. Should I be concerned? I looked up med schools in Florida and out of state (Illinois, Massachusetts, Rhode Island)and it seems that statistics is fine for a prerequisite. Has anyone here taken calc and stats?

Also, I signed up to take psychology, do med schools care if it is online? My course is a blended class so it is a combination of online coursework/exams and lecture.

Calc 1 + Stats should be perfect.
Your school probably doesn't even list it as an "online course" on your transcript. Even if it was, shouldn't be a problem.