pre-med surgical internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatsleepmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there everyone-

anyone know of any pre-med surgical interships. The only one I know of is the one at UC Davis, but it starts in May, which is unfortunate because I am still in school until June.

Anyone know or have heard of any others??

Any input is greatly appreciate!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input!!

Swartzlehman, did they provide living? I notice you live in Cali already so maybe living wasnt an issue for you... what did you or your peers do about that?

reading the descriptions of these things...you could probably get the same or even a better experience by shadowing a surgeon(s) and forming a good relationship with them.

It seems like a college student version of summer camp. I can't imagine most students having the money to live on their own like that.

Question: would it be feasible to do summer school at the same time as the UCD surgical internship? I'd be taking classes at UCD

Bump for the DeBakey surgery program. I went a couple years ago, and it's amazing. You're assigned to one surgery team the whole time, but you are very, very involved with that team (rounding, scrubbing in, etc.). It's free, but with no stipend for living expenses (rent is ~700/month in houston, so expect to spend minimum $1700 for your total living expenses while you're there). It's very independent and you get a really deep exposure to surgery. It's not summer camp, and it's what finally convinced me that I wanted to go to medical school.
I think the deadline to apply for this year has already passed, unfortunately. But, I'd definitely encourage you to apply next year!

reading the descriptions of these things...you could probably get the same or even a better experience by shadowing a surgeon(s) and forming a good relationship with them.

That's how I learned to rock out scrubs, the booties, and the cool hat ;)

I actually did learn how to suture a bit and am going to get a good letter out of it.