same21

10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Status
Hi guys, I am graduating in 2010, next year, and I was going to take a year off between med school and apply to enter in the Sept 2011. I was going to use the year to do some research and hopefully get my name on some publications. However, when do I have to submit my app by? I would like to have it in early in order to be considered early. Is it unrealistic to hope to have some publications before I submit my app?

May 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga
Status
Medical Student
it is a bit ambitious to hope for that, but by all means, go for it!! You will want to talk about your research in the secondary application and/or interview and update the schools you are interested during the year about your progress for your research. Hopefully you will be published before med school starts, but probably not before the primary goes in.

You should have your personal statement and application completed by the beginning of June and apply by late June. Timing is everything because I got my application in too late the first time around and didn't get in to any of my 29 schools.

Make sure you start writing your personal statement in February of the year you apply, because it usually takes twice as long as you think it will to write that thing. Also, ask your mentors or health professions advisor for a proof reading AND an english teacher. I did both and loved the well roundedness it gave me. My english teacher used my personal statement like a creative writing piece, which made it better than the average generic essay.

If you are taking the MCAT in April 2010, make sure you have a draft of your personal statement done before the MCAT because the last thing you will want to do after that dang test is write a personal statement. You won't even want to think about the reasons why you want to go into medicine, you will just want to sleep!

Hope this helps, this is everything I went through to get into med school. It took me two years to get in, and I made sure I did everything right the second time around...but I hope you get in the first time around and learn from my mistakes! :)

GOOD LUCK!! and keep your goals high because if you reach for the moon you will land among the stars. Keep reaching!

Last edited:

Semicolon

OMS II
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys, I am graduating in 2010, next year, and I was going to take a year off between med school and apply to enter in the Sept 2011. I was going to use the year to do some research and hopefully get my name on some publications. However, when do I have to submit my app by? I would like to have it in early in order to be considered early. Is it unrealistic to hope to have some publications before I submit my app?
If you wish to be early, you'll need to apply the summer a year before you wish to matriculate, which in this case will be the summer after your graduation. If you're planning to use the year off to do research or other activities, you'll be doing them during the application process itself, so unless you are going to update schools in the middle of the process, you won't be able to utilize this to your full advantage unfortunately.